RS-232 Code

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

ZARCOV

RS-232 Code

Post by ZARCOV »

:arrow: Why my Student-Version FlowCode does not generate code for RS-232 implementing? :?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello,

The "student/home" version of Flowcode has certain limitations compared with the "professional" version. Please see the product datasheet for details:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/datashe ... C-60-3.pdf

ZARCOV

Student Version

Post by ZARCOV »

Dear Sirs:

I thought your concept of generating code directly from the dataflow diagram most interesting, since I, as computer science professor, could be no more emphatic with my students, regarding the importance of learning programming logic, since, as you have proven, it's entirely possible to generate code automaticaly from the corresponding algorithm.
Being so, I got to consider adopting your CodeFlow as a main component in our microcontroller courses at undergraduate level, but I was baffled by your student version, (the one our students could work on at home in their own projects) due to the following limitations:
1. I can grasp the idea that a "student" version should be limited as to the lenght of source code (since it allegdly shall not be used for commercial purposes) and also by the number of supported devices (since students stick usually to a reduced number of alternatives), but NOT at all in it´s functionality – as it stands, your student version can be used only for trivial demonstrations- and no serious project.
2. Your suppport for device's interrupts is very narrow, as for every device I looked over the same and most common interrupts are shown, with no respect for the particular device special features.
3. Apart from your microcontroller's trainning course which is offered in a separated CD, I did not manage to get much classroom support for your product.
Taking all this into consideration, I shall wait for any futher improvements, before making a recommendation of it to our curriculum board.

Yours Sincerely,
Marcus Brunetta
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department
PontifΓ­cia Universidade CatΓ³lica de Minas Gerais

Ron

Student Version

Post by Ron »

Dear Marcus,

I have to say I agree with you to a point. I am a student and found Flowcode very interesting as I have programmed (PLC's by Seimens, Allen Bradley and several others) multi-million dollar metal cutting machines and assembly lines for the US Automotive Market.

I am back in school for a business degree and we must create our own product to sell for my business class. This class takes 3 semesters to complete and I am only entering my second semester. When I decided to purchase Flowcode I ended up purchasing the Pro version as I wanted RS-232 and EEPROM. For many people the current student/home version is more than enough to meet their needs.

I still do not see how this is actually a problem for you though. Since you are talking about recommending this to a Commercial institution you will be purchasing the Professional version like I did, it includes a tremendous number of macros which your students can use in your lab. Since the versions installed in your lab have all the component macros there is no problem. The students may have to do their coding in your lab, but this no different than Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy, and Physics which all require students to do the work in the lab.

I would like to see the RS232 and EEPROM component macro be added to the student/home version, even if the price were to be raised 15% - 20%.

RS-232 because this is how PICs have been communicating since day 1.
EEPROM because common PICs come with at least some on board.

Maybe limit the max usable EEPROM addresses to 8 or 16 bytes.
Maybe limit the number of times an RS-232 macro can be called in a program to 1 RX and 1 TX.

One other thought, since you are an Associate Professor simply write the RS-232 code in "C/ASM" and provide it to your students to place in a "C/ASM" block. Then they can communicate with the outside world via RS-232, I think the student/home version supports this.

With this option, your students can save money, and you can introduce them to actual "C" or "ASM" code slowly.

STEVE - am I correct on this ability?

Later

Ron

johndobson43

function limited versions

Post by johndobson43 »

Hello Marcus - thanks for your feedback. Free and student versions have to be limited in some way: whatever we leave out will always make the product less than satisfactory. I would welcome any suggestions.

I think you will find that all interrupts are supported. We support the common interrupts directly with the dialogue boxes you have seen. All other interrupts can be implemented but it requires a little more expertise. I am sure if you look at the help file you can find out how this is done. If you can't then make a note on the forum and our guys will point you in the right direction.

I would be interested to know what support you would like other than the 50 hour course on Flowcode: 'An introduction to microcontroller programming'. The free version of this does not have worksheets. The paid for version has worksheets that act as a framework for a full course at 16+. I thought it was a pretty cool think to give away in terms of support for Flowcode. Again suggestions welcome.

John Dobson
Managing Director
Matrix

Andi

Re: RS-232 Code

Post by Andi »

ZARCOV wrote::arrow: Why my Student-Version FlowCode does not generate code for RS-232 implementing? :?
I have exactly the same problem :(

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Ron is correct - you can add any C code you like to the "student/home" version.

Andi

Post by Andi »

steve wrote:Ron is correct - you can add any C code you like to the "student/home" version.
yes, i know that... but i decided to use flowcode cause of the existing implementation of RS232, cause i am not as good as other people in programming...

can you give us then maybe a c-code from the RS232 please?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

You should be able to find some sample code on the web.

Also, try the BoostC website - this is the compiler that Flowcode uses and includes many C code examples.