Current Sensing

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

kirstom14

Current Sensing

Post by kirstom14 »

I want to sense the current that is passing through a particular point in a circuit. What can I do?
[A very small value resistor than sense the voltage over it that it would be approx. the same as the
current????]
Thanks
tomcat14

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Current Sensing

Post by Benj »

Hello Tomcat

You could use a multimeter if you only need to monitor the current temporarily. Eg by breaking the track and using the multimeter probes to complete the circuit. Alternativly you could use a current sensing IC or similar if the current sensing needs to be permanent or uC Controlled.

goldwingers

Re: Current Sensing

Post by goldwingers »

I have been working on a project to monitor current and found the best way forward is to use a hall effect current transformer. These units are a three terminal unit which connects across 5 V with a variable voltage output from 0 to 5 volts ( perfect for PIC's).

The circuit which you wish to monitor passes through the CT so would normally be fitted as a fixture or this could be connected with a piece of wire to two terminals.

Regards
Ian