What improvements would you like to see?

Moderator: Benj

DavidA
Matrix Staff

What improvements would you like to see?

Post by DavidA »

Use this topic to discuss the poll topic of "What improvements would you like to see within Flowcode". We are looking at version 8 and would like your input on what improvements should be made to Flowcode.

Docara

Re: What improvements would you like to see?

Post by Docara »

David,

Further to my other posts in reply to your question, and a reply to Steve about connection points, I'm going to reiterate two major bug bears of mine

1) Lack of a GOOD help within the program for every option available - I still do not know how to FULLY use FC
2) Make the 3D simulation environment a paid for addition

I feel their are still bugs in V7, GUI issues or components not working properly etc and now you are asking about what to include in V8 - Finish V7!!

That said I think you must critically evaluate who the market sector is for your software Schools, Hobbyist, Professional and what each of them require which of course would generate a revenue stream.

I think, other than the obvious graphical programming environment, the main area which you must strengthen and is should be a MAJOR selling point is the software/component simulation within FC. Make FC into a superb development environment for hobbyist and professional alike allowing us to be able to simulate our code virtually using virtual hardware components. You either somehow fully simulate C or make sure EVERY internal component/option of all the processors you say you support IS available and available to use within FC.

For the schools - you need to make a student/teacher (client/server) type environment so that the teacher is able to setup the student workbench in readiness for their lesson and make sure the student can't alter any settings and to give them the option to 3D simulate things

For Hobbyist / Semi professional - Don't change anything, provide exactly what you do now with 3D as a paid for option.

For the Professional - Make a deal with whoever to supply FC Pro with a full-on professional compiler and code optimiser together with all components and commercial code rights

Across the board make the GUI less clunky to use and much more streamlined with dare I say it wizards especially to help obscure functionality like say component creation. I would LOVE LOVE to know how to do this but I have no idea where to start.

V5 had a really nice simple GUI V6 & V7 lost this.

Lastly, You asked elsewhere which family of devices should be included this made me think of a question I and others ask - how to go from a datasheet to a component. Give us a way to do this and then you chaps and chapesses are free to answer proper questions.
To prove to you I'm right you have a section on the forum about User Components - I would have thought by now this should be jammed packed with components created by user if we were able to do so - nothing! This is a great community so there is something wrong if no one has made their component available for others to use

Regards
Matt

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

Matt points very good things out!
Docara wrote:1) Lack of a GOOD help within the program for every option available - I still do not know how to FULLY use FC
I agree this: The help should be provided as a html help inside the program, with optional "use online help system" to select the help source. And as a addition: Maybe give user a interactive tutorial's like some others do ! :)
Docara wrote:V5 had a really nice simple GUI V6 & V7 lost this.
I disagree strongly, the new GUI felt at start hard, but now after some years of use, i feel this much modern and better to use than the old ones with all that right click, "properties", set every. single. thing. , click okay, right click next etc stuff.
The GUI has its problems still in my opinion too: especially when using the system with two screen setup and on a small screens the new gui is packed more up than the old ones were, using the secondary monitor as main monitor, all the variable screens and others pop to the first screen... (Win10 laptop+secondary monitor setup)
Docara wrote: question I and others ask - how to go from a datasheet to a component. Give us a way to do this and then you chaps and chapesses are free to answer proper questions.
To prove to you I'm right you have a section on the forum about User Components - I would have thought by now this should be jammed packed with components created by user if we were able to do so - nothing! This is a great community so there is something wrong if no one has made their component available for others to use
For component creation, i got a idea: there maybe should be the good old step by step wizard in the application to help user through the component creation! The thing like the playnote-macro that was my first post around here, i did not make it to a component as i found the wiki to be a bit short on what it needs to be done to user component, and the frustration made me leave it just be there...
Ill just keep the good work up!

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

When i see that there is a update available my heart sinks is it a quick update ? or is it a full download again ? :(
why do we have to download the whole lot again - my broadband is not that spectacular and downloading the whole lot can take upto 2 hours.

Sorry rant over

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

wayne millard

Post by wayne millard »

I would like to see using more of what is built into pics now a days like Opamps, D/A converters, Ethernet.

Wayne Millard

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

wayne millard wrote:I would like to see using more of what is built into pics now a days like Opamps, D/A converters,
+1 here :D

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

QMESAR wrote:+1 here
Same for me with selectable FVR where applicable.
Of course better PWM frequency selection.
Customised C code was a good thing.
I do miss that.

Martin
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

wayne millard wrote:I would like to see using more of what is built into pics now a days like Opamps, D/A converters, Ethernet.
D/A converters should already be covered by the DAC Output component. Opamps and Ethernet are things we can investigate, do you have specific devices in mind?

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stefan.erni »

Thank you for asking.

1. much faster FAT for Sd-card (4Bit and longer filename and much more...)
2. More comfort with the touchscreen GUI (please include the nice grafic potmeter and switch, FC already has for the simulation, in the touch....)
3. A very fast USB connection also for PIC32
4. A button in the menue for compile to chip(don't like to use the mouse all the time
5. just save the file, don't ask before compile to chip
6. Improvement how to make components
7. much more components build from Matrix
8. a power save tool and support sleep/wakeup for ST ARM and PIC as standard command
9. an info how much power the cpu use in the current confiuration
10. a tool that convert C-Code from ST and another c-compiler
11. It would be nice if FC8 could reprogram an android phone or an android tablet

I already very happy with FC7 and now I wait for FC8.....

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Everyone

Just to add to Matt's comment above:
You asked elsewhere which family of devices should be included this made me think of a question I and others ask - how to go from a datasheet to a component. Give us a way to do this and then you chaps and chapesses are free to answer proper questions.
Matt does have a point, which many of us has encounted many times. How to use devices/hardware which are not in your component list - to making our own. I know I have, even back with FC5.
However, this time I have dug around to see what is new, compared to previous versions of Flowcode. FC7 is, as I have discovered, much more powerful under the hood than previous incarnations of Flowcode, which presents new challengers.

The most difficult part is making sense of the technology which links everything together. I am now just beginning to see those links, which is essential when designing new components. So, over the next few days, I do hope to have my first attempt of a step-by-step guide for everyone to look at and maybe add too.

Regards
Dave

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

johnsondav wrote: So, over the next few days, I do hope to have my first attempt of a step-by-step guide for everyone to look at and maybe add too.
Dave Many people like myself will be very great full to you for such a guide :D
Thank you very much for your efforts

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi!

First of all. Flowcode is amazing. Espceally for not hardcore programmer like me. Wonderfull.

But as Dacora wrote : I feel their are still bugs in V7, GUI issues or components not working properly etc and now you are asking about what to include in V8 - Finish V7!! I agree..

I remember from ver. 3 - 4 - 5 and ver. 6 everytime a new version is released there where lot of bug. And just before release
a new version, the previus is working . And then we start from beginning again. :lol: :lol:
Yes, we can wait a little before we buy the new version, but I am like litlle kid who se a lollypop :lol: :lol: yes the matrixteam help and correct bugs emediately, always, good people. But I use many hours on writing and explanation and troubleshooting with thing not working and follow tread here to see if there are new files we have to download and replace in the FC lib. I still love Flowcode.

If it is possible for you, then, could it be Nice if you could use/ import all the component, basic thing ext.. from FC7 to FC8 so we not have to start from beginning again with correction in component ect.

It would be nice, with Dashboard like in FC5 in FC8. Dashboard in 5 Is really good.

What about rasperry pi in FC8...

Look forward to see FC8...

Hope I still is your friend. :D

Best regard jorgen.

viki2000

Post by viki2000 »

This is my dream:
- To have the „Panacea library component“ as discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18334
- A simpler way how to create user components.
- Simplify the way how ASM is included as discussed here at bottom:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19057
- A solution to have more new PICs included, based on the fact that XC compilers support them, but not FC.
- DMA support for PIC24/dsPIC33 or/and other MCU.

viki2000

Post by viki2000 »

This is a simple and a helpful one, unless is already implemented and I do not know how to activate it:
- In the main window where the code for different macros is written, in case there is a long flowchart code, it would be very helpful to have a scroll bar at the right side.
Now I find it difficult to navigate up down on the laptop in case of a longer code.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

viki2000 wrote:In the main window where the code for different macros is written, in case there is a long flowchart code, it would be very helpful to have a scroll bar at the right side.
There is already a vertical scrollbar on the right of the window if the contents of the window cannot be fully displayed. I'm not aware of anything that can enable or disable this so it's a mystery why you don't see it.

Please post a screenshot so we can see what is going on and try to help.

viki2000

Post by viki2000 »

Hi Steve,
I suck my words back! The scroll bar was covered by the 2D Dashboard panel and I worked on laptop without scroll wheel mouse.
But speaking about screenshots and FC7 interface, maybe you can help with the next one:
http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... 64&t=19501

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I see Ben has beaten me to it!