I would like to write to Eeprom

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Werner

I would like to write to Eeprom

Post by Werner »

Hi Guys, I wanted to play around with eeprom? I would like to be able to store into permanent memory a value when a button is pressed. I did some searching but couldn’t come up with anything. I am using the 16F877A chip. I did find a few things in a great book I have, Microcontroller Systems Engineering by Bert van Dam that Martin turned me onto. Bert talks about writing from PPP and I want to writing from a button press. Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Werner
Werner
STUDENT OF: Martin - Professor of Flowcode, John, Jan, Fotios and Nicolas "Spanish Dude"

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: I would like to write to Eeprom

Post by medelec35 »

Writing and reading to EEPROM is straight forward with Flowcode. But it is only available if you have professional version.
Sorry but Unfortunately EEPROM is not available if you have the student version since it's classed as advanced component :(
If you have the student version, when you compile you will just get an unable to compile error.
So you can see what components you can and can't use, here is a list (see page 9 ) from the marketing data sheet which can be found here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/datashe ... 4-60-7.pdf
Avail Comp.png
(179 KiB) Downloaded 4526 times
If you still want an example posting, If you want to explain how you would like to read the EEPROM e.g via LCD or via programmer I will sort something out for you.

@Matrix Multimedia.
I could not see in the data sheet the new devices added since the FC4.5. E.g. 16F18xx etc.

Martin
Martin

Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi Martin, Thanks for the reply! Yes I work with Flowcode Professional and do have the function available I just can’t figure out how to make it do what I want? What I am looking to do is have a value permanently stored from an existing variable. I am still working on my model railroad turntable program and thanks to you have it working great. The one thing is that some of my inbound tracks leading toward the turntable bridge are not in perfect alignment when the bridge is located at the programmed position. I could pull the track up and relocate it which would be a lot of work or thought that I should be able to save the correct position in my chip? The idea is that I would be able to jog my stepper motor to perfect alignment and than push a button to record that position for that programmed location.

Thanks for the help Buddy!

Werner

PS my chip is listed here:
[img]
16F877A.JPG
16F877A.JPG (70.54 KiB) Viewed 15886 times
[/img]
Werner
STUDENT OF: Martin - Professor of Flowcode, John, Jan, Fotios and Nicolas "Spanish Dude"

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Werner wrote: Yes I work with Flowcode Professional and do have the function available
Ah fair enough bud. The reason I assumed you had Flowcode student is because of your signature

Code: Select all

Werner
EB-006, E-Blocks, Flowcode Student!
But now i realise you mean your just a student of flowcode. Sorry my mistake.

Basically to save the number 22 to address 1 of EEPROM, you just enter 1,22 in the EEPROM write component.
Or
To read at address 0 and place value in a variable called index just enter 0 for Address and index in the return value(byte) box
I have modify your flowchart to store value of Index in EEPROM address 0 (Since you have 256 EEPROM addresses available. valid address is 0 to 255 and the number or variable can only be 0 to 255 since EEPROM is only 8 bits) This is done in Codegood Macro.
I have also used an addition number 22 (my birthday lol) to be stored in address 1 of EEPROM.

The reason for this is when you 1st run the turntable program, you want to read value of index variable that's stored in address 0 of EEPROM.
But if you have never used the turntable program, or you have just burned the hex file to chip, then the wrong value will be in address 0, so you do not want that stored in index variable.
So when power s 1st applied, the value of EEPROM address 1 is read. If this value = 22 then index = address 0 of EEPROM
Else index = 0

When you key a new value on the keypad, not only does Index get stored, but also 22 gets stored, so the program know the value in address 0 is a valid number for index variable.

I have also incorporated a jog facility. When you first run the program, if you keep pressing and releasing the Enter switch before the Initialise switch then the value of jog is incremented. The value of jog is stored at EEPROM address 3 after the Initialise switch is activated, so you will be able to use it as you wish.

I guess I can set it up so the Jog value is entered via the keypad instead of as switch, but hats up to you.

Hope I have explained it all ok?

Martin
Attachments
NewWork12_modifed2.fcf
(32.3 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Last edited by medelec35 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi Martin, I have been going over this the last few days and I think I am starting to get it. It seems I am always hunting for more info on this type of thing and never finding it. One question I have is that somehow I lost my Eeprom component graphic on my panel? I looked everywhere and can’t seem to find it. It is still in the program as I can see it in my Component Macro list. I kind of do remember dragging it onto the program work area (off the panel) and I think that’s when it diapered. Do you have any Ideas?
Thank Buddy!
Werner
Werner

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Sure.

Here's how to get it back.
1:
Bringing back EEPROM1.png
(53.72 KiB) Downloaded 9227 times
2:
Bringing back EEPROM2.png
(21.39 KiB) Downloaded 9227 times
By the way, I like the name Berry go Round. Very clever play on words with your surname.
I also wanted to thank you for yours and Brandon's continuous kind words. :)

Martin
Martin

Werner

Post by Werner »

Thanks Martin, I knew you would know how to fix this!
Its all true!!
Have a great day Buddy!

Werner
Werner

Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi Guy's, where do the values come from that are in the eeprom table when you first pull in the component? They look totally random but I know that can't be the case?

Thanks for the help! Have a great day!

Werner
Werner

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I believe in Flowcode they are just random.
On real hardware, all addresses default to FF

Martin
Martin

Werner

Post by Werner »

Thanks Martin, I never would have thought random. I am back to working on my turntable project and am struggling with what I am trying to do. By the way thanks to you I have it working perfectly on perfect centers. But in the case it needs to be adjusted +or- a few steps is what I am working on. One full revolution of my table is 6000 steps for my stepper motor. That is divided into my 40 position each one 150 step apart. The eeprom will only take positive numbers and a number no greater than 255. So what I am thinking is that I may have to use 80 eeprom locations to store information. 1-40 would be to store the difference in steps from perfect center. And let’s say 101-140 to store 0 which would mean (-) steps from perfect center or 1 which would mean (+) steps from perfect center. So position 10 is entered which would be 1500 steps +or- the calibration steps. Does this sound like I am on the right track?

Thank Buddy!

Werner
Last edited by Werner on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Werner

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Werner,
There is a better way. For one of my projects I needed to strore a number from 0 to 32767 (10bit int) in the EEPROM. To do that you take the 10bit int and spit it into bytes. Store in EEPROM, Then when to want to retrieve the 0 to 32767 the two bytes are retrieved and converted back into 10 bit int.

See:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26#p20779
for the formulas.
If you get stuck I can help you further.

Martin
Last edited by medelec35 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Werner

Post by Werner »

Hi Martin, Thanks for the help! I am going to digest this in the next few days and see if I can get it. :D
Thanks again have a great day!
Werner
Werner

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Your welcome.
I have made a demo flowchart for you.
It shows how to split integer into two bytes, save to EEPROM, retrieve the two bytes from EEPROM & finally convert back to the original integer

This should make it easier for you.

Martin
Attachments
Save Int to EEPROM.fcf
(6 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Martin

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Werner wrote:But in the case it needs to be adjusted +or- a few steps is what I am working on. The eeprom will only take positive numbers and a number no greater than 255
Just re-read your post.
Since you are taking the Int and splitting into bytes, this means that you can store numbers on EEPROM the range from -32768 to 32767. So you will be able to store and retrieve negative numbers. Here is the same attachment as above, but with -1234 stored and retrieved on EEPROM.
This will make it a lot eaiser for you :)

Martin
Attachments
Save -ve Int to EEPROM.fcf
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Martin

Werner

Post by Werner »

Thanks Martin, What is the << Shift actually doing? In my mind I like the second formula because I can visualize what It is doing but it looks as though to get the formulas to work right with (-) numbers you need to use the first example?

IntValue = ByteLow+(ByteHigh << 8)
ByteLow = IntValue & 0xFF
ByteHigh = (IntValue >> 8) & 0xFF

IntValue = ByteLow+(ByteHigh * 256)
ByteHigh = (IntValue/ 256)
ByteLow = IntValue - ByteHigh* 256

Thanks for the help Buddy!
Werner
Werner

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Werner wrote:Thanks Martin, What is the << Shift actually doing?
Hi Werner your welcome.
I posted some information on << & >> here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 188#p26188

Werner wrote:In my mind I like the second formula because I can visualize what It is doing but it looks as though to get the formulas to work right with (-) numbers you need to use the first example?
I totally agree with you. the lower formula is easy to read but, like you say it wont work with the negative numbers.
For that you will have to stick with the 1st lot of formulas I'm sorry to say :(
Martin

echase

Post by echase »

medelec35 wrote:I believe in Flowcode they are just random.
On real hardware, all addresses default to FF

Martin
Google tells me that usually the default values in a new EEPROM are all FFh (255). But it does depend on the complier options you are using and some can be set to give other values. In Flowcode v5 are they definitely all 255?

Sorry if I should have started a new thread for this.

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Hi

It's definitely 255 after erasing or re-program.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

echase

Post by echase »

What I would like to do is preload one or two EEPROM locations with set values. Can this be done when loading the hex? Problem with doing it as part of the normal programme is that it rewrites it back to the default value every time you boot and I don't want this as the user may later legitimately change the value through the device's menu system.

In V5 the EEPROM component has some boxes for initial values but not clear if these are the initial values of the EEPROM location or the variable that is used to load that location. If the latter the variable will rewrite EEPROM to the default value upon every boot.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

As an extra safe guard:
What I do is when I need to update an address of EEPROM I write a fixed value at a fixed address.
So on power up, this one fixed address is read. If the fixed value is read and is correct, then the other addresses of EEPROM is read and used for data retrieval.
If on power up the Fixed value at a fixed address is wrong, then rest of EEPROM is not read, and default values are used instead.
I have been using this method for some time and does not let me down.

If you want to post your flowchart, (even a cut down version)
I can alter it so it does what I have suggested.

Martin
Martin

echase

Post by echase »

Thanks Martin for offer but I can work that out myself. Is corruption of EEPROM that common that your test is needed? My values might get deliberately altered only a couple of times in the whole life of the equipment.

Still would be easier to preload the EEPROM.