Installation Problem - Could Not Update INI file

Forum for users of the CoCo software produced by Matrix Multimedia in conjunction with Commotion Group.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Adrian

Installation Problem - Could Not Update INI file

Post by Adrian »

I'm trying to install CoCo 3 onto a school network, but when I try installing the program to the server I get the following error:

"Error 1913. Could not update the .INI file L:\CoCo\CoCo.ini. Verify that the file exists and you can access it."

I have verified that the file exists, and I can access it, but I can't install the program, any ideas?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello Adrian,

I've never seen this problem before. Here are some suggestions:

* make sure the file is not read-only
* give all users "full control" over the file (in "permissions")
* make sure it is not being accessed by someone while you are installing

Please let me know if any of these suggestions work.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Steve thanks for the quick reply, but I'm afraid none of your suggestions have made any difference. I'm going to try a local install and see if that works, I could install the program locally as it's only going on 5 classroom PC's, but would prefer to do a network install if at all possible.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hello Adrian,

I know people have successfully installed CoCo onto a network and we have done so here, but networks can vary greatly between institutions.

One quick thing to try is to change the permissions of the directory of the INI file so that all users have full control.

If this doesn't work, you should be able to install on a local PC and then move the installation folder onto the server.

However, there are a number of ActiveX components that will need to be installed and registered separately onto each client. There is an EXE file on the CD that will do this.

If all else fails, installing separately on each client should not cause too many problems. CoCo is a small program and should not take up too much hard disk space.

pippa

Re: Installation Problem - Could Not Update INI file

Post by pippa »

Hi, I am having the same problems trying to load on the school network. Have changed .INI file but still receiving same error message - any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: Installation Problem - Could Not Update INI file

Post by Steve »

Hi,

I've looked into this again and it seems like a common error for Windows Installer (i.e. MSI) installations. It generally means that the user account performing the installation does not have the appropriate privilleges. If you are installing across the network, you will probably need to be running as a domain administrator (being an administrator just for the local machine may not be enough).

The following link shows one possible solution:
http://phaq.phunsites.net/?p=91

I hope this helps towards a solution.

If you (or anyone else) solves this problem, then please tell me how you did it.