Programming to Mega 2560 - No Permissions

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

billduck

Programming to Mega 2560 - No Permissions

Post by billduck »

I am having to use a MEGA instead of the UNO because the HEX file size is too large.
The 2 picture files, attached, are the permissions dialog and the error text, cited below.
The error message is "You do not have a valid license to perform this action."
The permissions dialog indicates I have the AVR but not the ARD (assume this means the Arduino). But I routinely program the UNO.
Can I get help to rectify the situation?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
You do not have a valid license to perform this action..png
You do not have a valid license to perform this action..png (103.1 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Flowcode Permissions.png
Flowcode Permissions.png (209.15 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

billduck

Re: Programming to Mega 2560 - No Permissions

Post by billduck »

I might add, what is the URL to purchase additional permissions?

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

Hi Bill,

The Uno is one of the free targets - so yes, you'd need to buy the Arduino pack to use the Mega...

First, though, is it possible to 'trim' your code to fit. (I once went to a lecture where it was asserted that all programs can be optimised by (at least) one instruction - this of course leads to all programs being pretty (ok very) short...

I'd hesitate (slightly) to buy at the moment - if you are thinking of purchasing v9 which is due imminently (unless Matrix give you a very good upgrade offer?) - some of the new targets (ESP8266 for example) might be a better fit (bigger & faster (and possibly cheaper)). Might also be worth looking at some of the alternatives in the AVR pack and using them - it might be possible to use the Mega2560 chip and program the Arduino Mega using either a usb-tiny type programmer (or a second Arduino) - or just some command line code with avr-dude.

Or maybe step-up to the Raspberry-Pi??

If all else fails head to https://www.matrixtsl.com/flowcode/buy/

Martin

billduck

Post by billduck »

Thank you, I did purchase and install the ARD component.
I am running into another challenge now - confounding. I sucessfully programmed the MEGA 2560 R4 "Hello World" program.
Then I started expanding the code, and now it will not work.
The errors vary. The latest message is that it "times out." The following is part of the settings message. "C:\Users\BillS\Desktop\Flowcode\Template>"C:\PROGRA~2\Flowcode\Common\COMPIL~1\avr\BATCHF~1\..
\bin\avrdude.exe" -p m2560 -P com6 -b 115200 -c wiring -D -U flash:w:"Template_MEGA_2560_R3_V1.hex"

Maybe there is a setting in the above code that needs to be changed. I have attached FV file of the short example.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Attachments
Template_MEGA_2560_R3_V1.fcfx
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

Sounds like the upload is failing for some reason.

It's getting com 6 - is this the correct port ? (Good to check - see another thread about FC sometimes attempting to write to the string com port)

Martin