Download the program for the device via the Internet.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

gilanetugila

Re: Download the program for the device via the Internet.

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Yes of course. After programming, I press stop, close the program by clicking on the cross in the upper right corner, then take out and insert the usb-ttl module into the usb connector again, turn on the terminal program and check the passage of the command. Even if I had turned off the flash program incorrectly, after I removed the usb-ttl module from the connector, the connection would still have been broken.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I have the feeling that we are overlooking something simple, which is why I'm asking "stupid" questions as many times I've overlooked something simple.

I might not get a chance to compare logs tonight, but I will when I get the chance.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Well, not everything is so clear here. There may be anything in an unknown technology and board that makes it all not work. Of course, it would be great if it were possible to check such modules as approximately the correct connection of the atmega8 harness when you connect the LED and blink it. And here you constantly have to use other programs. A somewhat imperfect device, especially considering that there is no clear instruction on it. If anything, I will be able to read and reply to your message on Friday after 4 p.m. I really hope that you will be able to find the error.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

My log files are different to yours and I now know why. The only way I can replicate logs similar to yours is if I skip steps. If I open Flash Tool then download straight away, not testing first or double checking values and selecting files, then I get a log similar to yours (Flash tool remembers previous settings).

I doubt that is making any difference though as the important bits seem the same.

Clearly we have different boards though as yours appears to want DIO over QIO. It seems every manufacturer of these boards has their own way of doing things and yours is the first I have encountered using DIO, so I would suggest you stick to that. It refers to how your onboard flash communicates and you would need to track down via the ID what specifics it needs / may cause.

However, in the unlikely event that there may be corruption, attached in the zip file are the files I obtained from espressif.

Files.zip
(293.65 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

Download and unzip to your Desktop (e.g. Desktop > Files), don't create long long path names with spaces. Now we have the same files.

Next, open the latest Flash Tool (3.9.4 ?) that you have, the one that doesn't show memory options and clear all file check boxes (Left hand side). Set the correct comm port and speed then put the ESP8266 into Flash Mode (press and hold reset, press and hold flash button, release reset, release flash).

Press start on the flash tool and it should detect some details as before. If it doesn't find out why. Once it is talking we can move on.

You will see an Erase button. Push that and the tool should erase the esp. Once complete, reset the esp and close the flash tool.

1) Using Flash tool 2.3 set the correct com port and speed.
2) Uncheck all location boxes (to the left of files)
3) Check SpiAutoDetect
4) Put esp into flash mode
5) Press Start in Flash Tool - The tool should only detect settings as before. If not find out why.
6) Set the file locations to the new files I sent, as before file / hex etc
7) Check all the location boxes (left hand side)
8 ) Press Start in Flash tool
9) Once complete reset esp
10) Close Flash tool
11) Open Terminal
12) Set correct comm port and speed then press connect
13) Sending AT should return OK

Hope this helps

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Unfortunately, there are no changes for the better, but it turned out to erase the old device IDs (those inscriptions in the windows) and get new ones, it was possible to program again. But when checking the terminal program, nothing happened. I did it 2 times, once exactly according to your instructions, and the second time before point 8, I pressed the reset and flash buttons again in the prescribed manner -it did not help. I am sending screenshots and a log file.
Attachments
screen terminal.JPG
screen terminal.JPG (64.81 KiB) Viewed 413 times
The program log after clicking the erase button..JPG
The program log after clicking the erase button..JPG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 413 times
log.txt
(8.14 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! additional screenshots.
Attachments
screen flash download tool_v2.3.JPG
screen flash download tool_v2.3.JPG (121.46 KiB) Viewed 411 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Just to be clear, after you erased you then flashed using flash tool 2.3 as before?

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I ask as the check boxes on the left aren't checked on v2.3

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Yes, of course, in the older version.

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! I did that screenshot with the old version of the program after paragraph 5 of your instructions.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

As mentioned before, info on these components is hard to gather, but from some posts it is suggesting that certain modules won't handle later firmware as the UART pins change. They mention you can possibly modify the firmware and reassign pins, but I have no experience of this.

The posts inform that the firmware appears to load OK (as does yours) but it then doesn't respond to "AT" (like yours) due to the UART changes. This does sound very much like what you are experiencing doesn't it?

It may mean you need to use different firmware.

One suggestion (which only worked once in the posts I read) was to use DOUT as the SPI mode. If you want to try that then remember to uncheck SPIAutoSet first. It might be worth a try and surely we are due a bit of luck soon :)

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good morning! Today I dreamed that I was untying a knot. Maybe sleep and your advice will help, but first I would like to clarify:
1) do you write that the uart pins could change after the options that we have already tried, in other words, can you try connecting RX-RX and TX-TX?
2) you write that you can try the programming option to uncheck the SPIAutoSet and select the DOUT mode.Does this mean that it is no longer necessary to erase the firmware in the new version of the program, or should we do it according to the old instructions-first we erase the firmware in the new program, then we program it in the old one according to the instructions in 13 points? If according to the instructions, is it necessary to press the reset and flash buttons before step 8 (Press Start in Flash tool) to press the reset and flash buttons in the prescribed manner?

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

The interface assignments are redefined so basically we have no UART access at all unless we put it into Flash Mode.

No need to erase, just select the files / addresses and ensure the necessary checkboxes are ticked etc and flash as before but using DOUT.

Admittedly a long shot......

I'll look at other firmware options tomorrow

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon Happy holiday! Today everything worked out on the first try. It is necessary for the programmers of the flovcode program to write more detailed instructions for these manipulations with the ESP 8266 module, otherwise without a glass or two you will not understand this witchcraft. The attached files have a screenshot and a log. If anything I can get in touch on Monday after 16:00. By then I hope to have reprogrammed the second module.
Attachments
new firmware version.JPG
new firmware version.JPG (67.95 KiB) Viewed 321 times
log DOUT.txt
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
04.05.2024 screen flash download tool_v2.3.JPG
04.05.2024 screen flash download tool_v2.3.JPG (128.54 KiB) Viewed 321 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I am so very glad to hear that and it is indeed now becoming a happy holiday. Well done in getting it working :D

The issue seems to be that they license out manufacture which means anyone with a license is then responsible for all documentation as it is essentially now their product. To compound matters, each manufacturer appears to do things differently and may not be around next month to answer questions. Then add in the cloned versions and soon you have a quagmire of information (or missinformation).

I think this thread will be quite informative for anyone else facing difficulties with an ESP8266.

Anyway, now you have it responding again to "AT" you are good to try connecting to the world :)

The Flowcode component "talks" to the esp8266 using the "AT" commands, and I strongly recommend you familiarise yourself with some of the basic ones. If you download the "AT" manual you will see the commands are broken into sections for ease of reading. The commands also give examples of usage.

Your USB adapter and Terminal will become your best friends :)

Using Terminal you can issue commands and see any response. You can send configuration strings, then connect to "wherever" and see the results, all from your PC.

I frequently do this to check things are working as expected and once I'm happy I then use Flowcode to issue the commands.

I really like the ESP8266 as it is quite compact and capable, and provides connectivity to pretty much anything.

Regards

AbhijitR

Post by AbhijitR »

Hello! Gilanetugila

Your patience has rewarded you.

Chipfryer no doubt you too are so patient with all the replies, i really appreciate that.

Cheers to both of you.

Abhi

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening, Abhi! Happy Holidays to you too! Thank you for taking a moment and writing to me! Yes, I am very grateful to my mentor Chipfryer27, thanks to him I received such knowledge and experience that you can’t get anywhere or from anyone. You talked about patience, it’s more likely not for me, but for my mentor, explaining something to a person thousands of kilometers away is great patience. Sometimes it happens to me at work, I call and ask what signals have arrived, and there is a chaos of signals, somewhere the wires are poorly connected, somewhere they are poorly connected to the ground, and besides, they are several minutes late... so I’m learning patience there :)) as well as those from whom I ask this information.

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Thank you chipfryer27 for your mentorship and patience in finding the right solution to technical problems. I have reprogrammed the second module and on Monday after 16:00, if you have the opportunity, strength, patience and inspiration, we will continue to solve the problem of data transfer via Wi-Fi.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

You are welcome.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon! Now, apparently, I need to connect each esp-01 module to my board with a controller and an lcd 1602 indicator? The power supply should be 3.3 volts, and the outputs of the Rx controller should be connected to the Tx output of the ESP-01 module and the Tx output of the controller to the Rx output of the ESP-01 module. But the question arises:
1) connect directly with a wire or through a direct-reverse converter 3.3 volts to 5 volts ?After all, the controller has some signal levels, and the module has others (lower), so as not to damage the esp8266-01 modules.

2) we programmed the esp8266-01 module, and if there is a more complex version of the module, the firmware is updated in the same way: the same files and in the same order?

3) if suddenly, instead of one controller, several controllers (sensors) are used and all of them, for example, transmit data over the uart bus to a controller that directly transmits data to the esp-01 module? how is the decoupling carried out there-with keys? and the data itself should carry some information that, for example, they came from 2 sensors or a controller ,and not from the 3rd controller or sensor?

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I would hope any future firmware upgrades would be done in a similar manner but as none have been released in years it is unlikely you will need to do so again. Everything from now on just operates by sending specific AT commands which is why I recommend you download a copy.

The ESP8266 modules, and this very much depends on the module you have bought, run on 3.3v however some modules have an inbuilt 3.3v regulator that accepts a 5v supply.

You need to establish for yourself if your module accepts a 5v supply or only 3.3v with regards to powering it.

With regards to the pins, again much confusion on the web. Some say 5v tolerant others not, so if you are feeding from a 5v pin best to level shift which could be done with a simple resistor divider. Many examples on the web of such.

Note you only need to level shift the Rx-pin of the ESP8266 (and Reset if required). A 5v microcontroller will happily accept the output of any 3,3v device. None of my modules ever had any issue in accepting data from a 5v microcontroller.

UART (RS232) only allows for a single connection, i.e. one device to another directly. So you can have your microcontroller connected to your ESP8266 over a UART port and nothing else. If you want your microcontroller to connect to anything additional over UART you need additional UART ports (one device per port). However I'm unsure why you would want to have multiple ESP8266 devices connected to a single microcontroller over UART ports.

Remember that the ESP8266 will allow you to communicate, that's all. Sensors etc must be connected to a microcontroller and the microcontroller will obtain the information, establish and manage any connection to wherever utilising the ESP and send the information.

If you can describe what it is you want to do then I can probably assist further (e.g. I have a temperature sensor and I want to send the data to....).

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! I found a small circuit on the network-a bidirectional logic level converter, but I did not use it, I will try it in the simulator, but the voltage divider looks simpler and more accessible...
And as for connecting several controllers via uart, I was interested because there was somehow a creative idea to make an alarm, well, as if I did it for myself, ADC pins are used there, I had 5 sensors and enough space. But let's say some kind of object has 12-15 rooms, we already need 3 controllers that receive data from sensors and transmit information to the fourth, and the fourth processes it. Then the question arises about connecting several controllers via uart.
Attachments
bidirectional logic level converter.jpg
bidirectional logic level converter.jpg (30.41 KiB) Viewed 209 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Now I understand a bit better.

If so, what you want is the ability to have:

Multiple sensors throughout building
Each sensor is "managed" by a microcontroller (each microcontroller may have multiple sensors)
Each microcontroller will gather data and send to a "receiver" microcontroller
This receiver will process the data and respond accordingly.

Is this correct?

As for level shifting that is a typical circuit used everywhere for bi-directional level shifting. If you only wish unidirectional you can just use two resistors as a simple voltage divider.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon! Yes, you understood me correctly. Several controllers receive data from sensors and send it to the controller, which, depending on the program, performs certain actions. As for the current project, I haven't put everything I need into a diagram yet, while I'm working on it.

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! I will be able to get in touch on 9.05 after 16 hours.