Who uses cheap 433Mhz modules?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

MJU

Who uses cheap 433Mhz modules?

Post by MJU »

Does anyone use Flowcode with cheap 433Mhz modules like these ones: https://www.tinytronics.nl/shop/nl/comm ... r-link-kit

It seems like the connection is like a RS232 signal without real timing (just data).
So if the data line on the sender is high, the receiver get's in a High on it's data line.

Has anyone used these modules and wants to share it's project?

What I want to make is a simple project that sends a few bytes to the receiver without checking if it is received.
The way I see it, I need to send an bunch of known bytes to sync the receiver to and after a while start checking the datastream?

If someone uses these modules, please share your project :-)

Bachman

Re: Who uses cheap 433Mhz modules?

Post by Bachman »

I've tested these RF modules and I can't recommend it. If the transmitter doesn't send any data or the transmitter input is in L state, the receiver output goes crazy.
Receiver_output_1.jpg
Receiver_output_1.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 12851 times
Receiver_output_2.jpg
Receiver_output_2.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 12851 times
I have no idea, how they deal with this crazy signal in projects like this: https://randomnerdtutorials.com/rf-433m ... h-arduino/. This random data can push the controller into an interrupt too many times and this can slow down the main program execution. Maybe i'm not smart enough for this. :( I have no time to spend to solve a simple communication problem when it can be instant get.

After the first test, i've put away this RF module. APC220 module is very good but expensive. Cheaper alternative (for me) is the HC-12. Both module have UART (RS232) input and output and they can act as a transmitter and receiver. What you send in into one side, it's come out at the other side.
ScreenShot_486.png
ScreenShot_486.png (185.49 KiB) Viewed 12851 times

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Both!

I am agree with Backman. The HC12 module is very good and they you are able to configure them. the best choice.

http://ecksteinimg.de/Datasheet/HC-12%2 ... sheets.pdf
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projec ... er-module/

But I managed to modify the cheap module and remove the noice. I add a resistor to one of the pin to ground on the chip on the receiver, it help. I am not home now, but if interrest I will have a look at the modification and share my modification. :D

Br Jorgen

MJU

Post by MJU »

Hey, thanks for your responses.

There is always a discrepancy to what you see on Youtube and what you really get when you do the test yourself.
I've seen many video's of people testing wireless devices and show their devices working at ranges I never seem to get myself.

The devices I've tested with success are the NRF24L01 and the E32-868T20D (lora).
The last one is perfect for me.
But I don't always need that range and reliability so I was thinking for a cheap replacement.

I've ordered a few of these HC12's and will start working with them.
If someone has sample Flowcode 8 charts I can study, this can be a great help.

Thanks again

Bachman

Post by Bachman »

jgu1, what is the solution? I didn't found it.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I had great success using these and they have built in detection to ensure that the data is valid before presenting it on the receiver.

https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/radio-mod ... /alpha-c80

Unfortunatley the smaller modules at least seem to be end of life, I think in part because things like this are commonly moving to WIFI type frequencies.

AbhijitR

Post by AbhijitR »

Hi!

I agree with Ben, i have used modules manufactured by RF Sol many times, can give a try with this make, need to increase budget, :o

Abhi

MJU

Post by MJU »

Benj wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:51 am
I had great success using these and they have built in detection to ensure that the data is valid before presenting it on the receiver.

https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/radio-mod ... /alpha-c80

Unfortunatley the smaller modules at least seem to be end of life, I think in part because things like this are commonly moving to WIFI type frequencies.
Thanks BenJ, these look promising, but frankly they cost somewhat more then the Chinese ones (HC12), and it seems that they are only available from British webshops.
So post-Brexit it is very expensive to import them into EU because declaration costs and so on can really add up.
Choosing the Chines webshops with a warehouse in the EU can really make a difference to the costs.

But I will keep them in mind if the HC12's don't work.

AbhijitR

Post by AbhijitR »

Hello! MJU

I came across one more manufacture in Italy, check if this help you, unfortunately I never had an opportunity to buy from this manufacturer.

www.radiocontrolli.com

Abhi

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

The HC-12 look interesting, I might get myself a few to have a play with.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Ben!

Yes I can recomend these module very good and looooooong :lol: range

@ Bachman, nobody ask :wink: But on the receiver, pin 3 on the chip LM358 ground this trough a resistor. 150k > 270k, then no noise out. :D

Hope this could help.

BR jorgen

MJU

Post by MJU »

First range test today with the HC12. Default settings and sender was lying on my desk on my attic.

For me this was a great success. Line of sight I got errorless reception at approximately 150m.
This is more then I hoped for in these conditions and with the default settings + the cheap coil antenna.

I've changed the module to it's max output power (20dB), and will do the same test again.
For me this was a great suggestion to buy them: THANKS!

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi mju!

Glad to hear. I also have really good experience with these module.

Br Jorgen