Pickit 3 - Easypic Pro and Easypic fusion Boards - Problem

An area to discuss 32-bit PIC specific problems and examples

Moderator: Benj

r_teixeir

Pickit 3 - Easypic Pro and Easypic fusion Boards - Problem

Post by r_teixeir »

Hi all, Iam Trying to program the MCU with Pickit3 but Iam having hard time trying to figure out what´s going on. When I run the mplab IPE in order to download the code into the MCU, the mplab software says there is a non ID detection. It also happens when I use other programs for example Flowcode 6 and 7 with different MCUs.

There are some procedures for programming the code into the MCU that I used and I did the same procedure for programming the 18F4550(Just the chip) off the board and it worked!
On the other side, if I use the easypic pro with the PIC18F87K22 or the easypic fusion with the PIC32mx795F512L I get the error while trying to download or debugging the program.
Iam using the AC162069 cable to plug the pickit 3 and the easypic pro board (RJ12 socket) or the easypic Fusion. Did anyone have the same problem?[attachment=0]Pickit3.7z
I Uploaded some pictures for understanding.

Thank you

Rod
Attachments
Pickit3.7z
(622.1 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pickit 3 - Easypic Pro and Easypic fusion Boards - Problem

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Rod

Check the way you connect the PicKit3...
PICKIT3.PNG
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 3760 times

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Rod

I think you may have a PicKit3 that requires to be setup with an ID. To do this:

1. Connect your PicKit3 and select - Check Communication
PicKit3Menu1.png
(64.38 KiB) Downloaded 3755 times
2. Then select - Set Unit ID
PicKit3Menu2.png
(69.4 KiB) Downloaded 3755 times
3. This will give you the following option
PicKit3Menu3.png
(89.44 KiB) Downloaded 3755 times
You can now place an appropriate ID - such as PicKit3 serial number - up to 14 characters.

I beleive this is to allow - Program-on-the-go to function if required. You can have several programmers, each with a different program loaded enabling you to tell which is which when out in the field.

Hope this helps.

Dave

r_teixeir

Post by r_teixeir »

Hi all,
I set up the pickit 3 the way that johnsondav explained on the last post, but unfortunately I still get the same results for Not detecting the MCU on the board. I even tried to set manually to look for the Pic18F87K22 on the range of availability shown, but it does not carry the mcu on the list of devices shown, nor it is on the list(I was able to see only the pic18F8722, not the pic18F87K22). When you consider the automatic check, there is no detection whatsoever of a MCU. I was able to get right up to the point of slide PicKit3Menu3.png from johnsondav on last post. Beyond that, I am still getting problem with the pickit 3 to use with easypic pro and fusion boards.

Iam in contact with microchip too, considering that i couldnt be able to search for similar problems on other Forums, with rich details on how to troubleshooting it.

If anybody could have any suggetions, I would appreciate and be happy to try

Thanks

Rod

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Rod

This may not be the news you are looking for, PicKit 3 may not be supported for the easyPC V7 board. The reason for this are as follows;

1. The list of supported device for the PicKit 3 are shown here:
PICkit 3 Programmer Application ReadMe.txt
(22.11 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
The PIC18F87K22 is not on the list.

2. The power provided by the PicKit 3 is not suitable to power the easyPC V7 board, only the IDC2 or IDC3. The reasons for this are explained here:
https://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71002

The tech at MikroElekronika states:
Hello

I was able to program my PIC18F45K22 on the EasyPIC v7 board with no problem. I will test the MCU you have when I get it, hopefully tomorrow

My setup worked both when I power the board with the ICD3 programmer and if I power up the board via the USB connector. Cable has to be 1:1 RJ12 cable. I am using windows 10 and the latest MC ICD drivers. Power jumper was set at 5V on board, also ICD3 power was set to 5V for this MCU
Hope this helps.

Dave

r_teixeir

Post by r_teixeir »

Hi johnsondav,
Thank you for the post, it helped a lot. Ill report this to microchip and ask them about the support for pic18F87k22 and pickit 3.
Thanks I appreciate

Rod

r_teixeir

Post by r_teixeir »

Dear friends, I might have a solution. I looked in Mikroe libstock and I found a example of working solution for pic18F87K22 using pickit 3.
Here is the link. https://libstock.mikroe.com/projects/vi ... s-on-portd; I got to also have the adapter and the cable with rj11.

Now, for the easypic Fusion, I will have to buy the mplab icd3 for programming the pic32mx7

Thanks

Rod

r_teixeir

Post by r_teixeir »

Hello dear friends, The mplab icd 3 arrived and I tested with the boards (Easypic pro and Fusion) and it worked perfectly.

Thanks all for the help

Rod