ICD 2, ICD 3 & PcKit 3 Parameters for 16Bit chips

An area to discuss 16-bit PIC specific problems and examples

Moderator: Benj

Quartz

ICD 2, ICD 3 & PcKit 3 Parameters for 16Bit chips

Post by Quartz »

Hi all

I need help with the Compiler Options if you'd be so kind.

I am trying to set my FC7 to use various settings for chips and hardware because depending on where I am working will dictate what I have access to. So I'd like to set it up in FC7 with a variety of options and test them out before I need to use them and not have a choice.

I have found some but not for the following combinations.
XC16 (16bit pic) with an ICD 2
XC16 (16bit pic) with an ICD 3
XC16 (16bit pic) with a Pickit 3

I have MPLABX V4.00 loaded and use Pro versions of all the XC compilers if that makes a difference...

Can anyone tell me what the parameters in Compiler Options will be for the them please.

Thanks for any help given

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: ICD 2, ICD 3 & PcKit 3 Parameters for 16Bit chips

Post by LeighM »

Quartz

Post by Quartz »

Hi

Thanks for the reply and pointer, I had found something like that but not with as much info in.
With that I can start using that info and test it out.

First try...

I used the external powerd PicKit 3 compiler option settings for 16 bit pic and then went to create the hex file.
At first it complained that it couldn't find the PicKit 3 and failed to create the hex file, I don't know why as I only wanted to create the hex file.
I gave in and connected a Pickit 3, same thing almost it complained about not finding the PIC chip. and failed to create the hex file.

I connected the board with the pic chip on, tried again and OK it created the hex file but it also programmed the Pic chip! Not what I wanted or expected, no warning it just did it.
Output window
Output window
Programming.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
That all seems fine if I wanted to program the chip but if I only want to create the hex file do I have to then mess about with the compiler options again (put back to original) before creating the hex file??

And a final question here as it points to a Flowcode batch file in the parameters will it still be using my versions of the XC compilers or those supplied with FC??

Best Regard

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi,
There are two separate icons in the Flowcode tool bar, "Compile to Hex" and "Compile to Chip".
Only "Compile to Chip" will invoke the programmer step.

You could edit the compiler batch file, or create a new one for your tool chain and create a new setting for it using the Compiler Options dialog.

Quartz

Post by Quartz »

Hi

I know it should but that is not so, I used the compile to Hex and it programmed my chip!