I2C 7 Segment Display Module

A forum where Flowcode v7 user created components can be shared, discussed and reviewed.

Moderator: Benj

johnsondav

I2C 7 Segment Display Module

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Everyone

I have started developing a I2C Quad 7 segment display module. The hardware is working fine, able to send data and display numbers on the module. The 7 Segment display module is continuing from the I2C keyboard idea. The display will be an intelligent display able to take:
- Byte
- ULONG
- and hopefully float numbers

What I am trying to achieve is the ability to send any of the above data types directly to the display and it will sort out which bits goes where and show if they are x1; x10; x100 etc. The user will also be able to control brightness and scroll left-right from the module itself - scroll keys.

Q. The simulation of the component, how do I simulate each of the segments?

This is what I have deduced so far. Looking at the component shiped with FC7;
7SegComp.png
(4.61 KiB) Downloaded 2190 times
It is made up of lots of individual rounded squares. I think that is how it is done.

My attempt is this:
7Seg_Comp_Dev1.png
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 2190 times
I can see each is listed within the properties as shown here:
7Seg_Comp_Dev2.png
(12.55 KiB) Downloaded 2190 times
Q. Do I assign a variable to each of these rounded rectangles, so I can change their colour during simulation when communicating to the module, there by displaying what should be displayed on the module?

I am a little confused so far as the how to get this component designed correctly, any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Dave

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: I2C 7 Segment Display Module

Post by Benj »

Hi Dave,

Looks like your on the right lines there. Here's a quick demo to show you how to set the colour of the individual primitive components.
ObjColourDemo.fcfx
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

johnsondav

Re: I2C 7 Segment Display Module

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Ben

Yes, got it. Phew. I wasn't sure, but your brilliant example has explained a lot. I think I can now proceed with the component simulation development. Although, I imagine it will take me a while, as this looks challenging.

Very much appreciate your help.

Regards
Dave