Updated Components in V7?

A forum where Flowcode v7 user created components can be shared, discussed and reviewed.

Moderator: Benj

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Updated Components in V7?

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I have just upgraded from v6 to v7 to take advantage of the Easter discount. I am working abroad at present and won't really have too much chance to play with it until my return late May, having no hardware to connect with. This of course doesn't stop me using examples etc but finding time to do so is a luxury (and being honest, if I had an hour or two spare at night beer would be more enticing..<s>)

Meantime can I ask a question or two, with apologies in advance if it has been answered elsewhere as I'm only now going through v7 Forum?

Using an example of an ESP8266 WiFi module plus Flowcode component, I was having difficulties last year using such (in v6), and discovered that the ESP module after a firmware upgrade returned differing values than the FC component expected. There was no way (at that time) to change what FC expected. In the associated posts, Kersing kindly posted a version of the FC component that allowed for you to edit expected responses.

Has this ability been included in the v7 ESP component?

Also, quickly scanning through the v7 forums I see in posts that over the last few months changes have been made to the ESP8266 component (and others). Do these changes find their way into future v7 releases? I have v7.2.1.4 so does that include all modifications to the ESP I read about or would I have to go hunt through posts to find latest version?

Is there an area where components are maintained? If an update was made to sensor_ABC, instead of searching through posts I could just go to the area and get latest version (or perhaps versions with details of particular mod)?

Thanks in advance
Iain

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Updated Components in V7?

Post by Benj »

Hello Iain,

The latest components and other resource fixes can all be found here.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18760

Updates are incremental and included in the latest builds and future builds so anything you used in v6 should be included and maybe improved in v7.

Hope this helps.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Benj

Thanks for the prompt reply (as always).

I did see the updated components link but I guess my mail wasn't very clear. In a few days or whenever, that post will probably be deeper into the Topics list and without going through possible pages to find, I was wondering if there was a predefined area on your site where "latest components" reside. Maybe this is a wish list item?

In the pretense of working, I've actually got FC open. Can't resist a play, and I have the ESP Component in the work area and I see all the Macros available. Looking at a couple, ConnectToSSID and ClientConnect, these macros state that they return a 0 or 1 depending upon if successful or not. How does the macro know? What response is it looking for to make a decision?

I ask as in the v6 examples, we had an ESP connecting to your website and downloading a file, but I had difficulties as mentioned due to the component looking for different values to what the ESP was supplying. Briefly, the latest ESP firmware at that time provided a different response than previous firmware and the Flowcode component was set to look for the previous response (see post viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17539#p74063 and viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17539&start=25#p74242 ).

Kersing kindly supplied a modified component that allowed me to set the component to look for whatever response the ESP provides. I don't see any way to set such in the current component. If this can't be done, will I still be able to use the v6 component that Kersing supplied in v7?

Regards

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

chipfryer27 wrote:
I did see the updated components link but I guess my mail wasn't very clear. In a few days or whenever, that post will probably be deeper into the Topics list and without going through possible pages to find, I was wondering if there was a predefined area on your site where "latest components" reside. Maybe this is a wish list item?
As a side note; Ben's post is "sticky" so it will not dive to deeper on the topics list! The lightbulb shaped icon tells that: viewforum.php?f=63 :)
Ill just keep the good work up!

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Thanks for that, I live and learn..:)

I dive into Flowcode as and when necessary, so apologies for not realising. I do think a major strength is this forum..:)

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I ask as in the v6 examples, we had an ESP connecting to your website and downloading a file, but I had difficulties as mentioned due to the component looking for different values to what the ESP was supplying. Briefly, the latest ESP firmware at that time provided a different response than previous firmware and the Flowcode component was set to look for the previous response (see post view ... 539#p74063 and view ... =25#p74242 ).

Kersing kindly supplied a modified component that allowed me to set the component to look for whatever response the ESP provides. I don't see any way to set such in the current component. If this can't be done, will I still be able to use the v6 component that Kersing supplied in v7?
I would hope that the latest component would negate the need for using Kersing's custom component with customisable responses.
However you can always try the v6 component in v7, it really depends on how the component was licensed. If it came from Kersing then the likelihood is it should work ok as is with v7.

Just make a backup of the files before overwriting them and then you can always go back to the original component if you need to.

If you do experience problems then let us know and we can hopefully make adjustments to the component to make it more universal. It's not much good to anyone if it's only working for a handful of modules we have here in the UK office :D .

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Benj

Unfortunately I'm out of the UK just now with no hardware to play with and upgraded to v7 to take advantage of your recent offer, therefore my questions regarding v7 aren't through anything I've found, just me "playing" with the program. I do have a basic working knowledge of C/Assembly but would not consider myself a programmer (real stretch of the imagination that) which is why I have been using FC since v3. I don't use it on a daily basis it is more feast or famine due to other commitments so forgive stupid questions as I reacquaint myself. I am a huge fan of FC and it has taught me a lot, with these forums being a major asset.

As per the links in my previous post, I had issues last year so I was wondering how the current ESP component macros (e.g. ConnectToSSID) make a decision if connected or not. If FC looks for a particular response from the ESP, what happens if ESP change that in a new release of Firmware? I have bought chips from UK and China, and as per that post I referred to, upgraded to latest ESP firmware only to find instead of replying with "OK" as FC was looking for, it replied with "WiFi Connected". I can't be the only one with that issue and it may be a factor in this recent post viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18780#p80804

Once I'm back in the UK late May or so I will dig out the hardware and try the v7 component, and if it fails I'll try using Kersing's in v7. My question in my last post wasn't really directed at Kersing's component, but more "will v6 components work in v7", sorry for confusion as I have to type fast whilst grabbing whatever opportunity I can to access Flowcode, due to work commitments.

Regards
Iain