Add support for STM8S "Value Line" Micros

Please add any feature requests for Flowcode version 7 here

Moderator: Benj

derekgore

Add support for STM8S "Value Line" Micros

Post by derekgore »

ST Microelectronics introduced their "Value Line" STM8S micros several years ago. These are very aggressively priced at around 1/2 to 1/3 the price to a similar Microchip PIC16F part.

As a volume manufacturer, we are slowly moving away from the PIC16F parts to the STM8S003F3 and STM8S003K3 parts.

The STM8S003F3 contains 8K Flash, 1K RAM, 128 bytes EEPROM, 16 I/O & 5 x 10b-ADC. They cost less than US$0.37 from Digikey & 10% less than this from Arrow.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... SD&lang=en

The STM8S003K3 contains 8K Flash, 1K RAM, 128 bytes EEPROM, 28 I/O & 4 x 10b-ADC. They cost less than US$0.52 from Digikey & 10% less than this Arrow.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3455602

Can we please have Flowcode support these new targets as I'm sure many other high volume manufacturers are also designing in these "Value Line" micros?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Add support for STM8S "Value Line" Micros

Post by Benj »

Some good info there thanks, we will take it into consideration.

Would anyone else like to see these devices in Flowcode?

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

Would the STM8 be its own chip pack? Could be intresting, but don't see much advantage over the PIC except price... But PICs are too dirt cheap when bought in trays volume, and a fast look to my suppliers inventory prices i would stay on PIC/Atmel line.

Being able to support STM8 would be a great marketing argument as the range would be "complete" on the st side too (like on PIC8, 16,32) and could pick interest from some hobbyists to start with small ST micros and moving up to the beefier ones.

But i've personally been seeing a move towards NXP (freescale) micros on a fair bit of consumer machinery like washers and dishwashers... (opened around 15 modern ones and the brains are almost all been NXP, two PIC and one Atmel based)
Ill just keep the good work up!

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

EtsDriver wrote:Would the STM8 be its own chip pack? Could be intresting, but don't see much advantage over the PIC except price... But PICs are too dirt cheap when bought in trays volume, and a fast look to my suppliers inventory prices i would stay on PIC/Atmel line

PIC16 device can cost less than 0.21$ cents in volume it all about discussion with MCHP and the volumes you use there is definitely no price advantage ,I know this for a fact as one of my main customers are using PIC16's in a large volume and they pay 0.21 $ cents per pic16.,I even do not expect an technical advantage as the PIC16 mostly are equipped with core independent peripherals which makes it much more powerful when used correctly

derekgore

Post by derekgore »

EtsDriver wrote: Could be interesting, but don't see much advantage over the PIC except price
In high volume manufacture, price is everything.
QMESAR wrote: PIC16 device can cost less than 0.21$ cents in volume
But you will not find a PIC with half of the memory listed for the STM8 parts above for the same money, even if you are purchasing them in 100,000 lots.

If you disagree, please point me in that direction :)

If Matrix would like to have Flowcode enter the bottom end (but very high volume) production market, then supporting the "Value Line" STM8 micros would be a great start.

celebriums

Post by celebriums »

Hi All

The STM8 series is used extensively in the automotive sector. Will there be an improvement on this topic (STM8S) ?
Sincerely Regards
Sadık SUME

www.kaandesign.com.tr

derekgore

Post by derekgore »

celebriums wrote: The STM8 series is used extensively in the automotive sector.
We design & manufacture for the automotive industry, the photo voltaic industry & also have several consumer products. Due to the high volume (& low prices) of the STM8S parts, we generally design these into all out products.
celebriums wrote: Will there be an improvement on this topic (STM8S) ?
I hope so, but it is up to the Flowcode Engineers to pick it up & run with it from here.

We have Flowcode for PIC, AVR & ARM, however these days don't use it much due to it not supporting the STM8S parts which have become our mainstay micros due entirely to their very cheap price that no other manufacturer seems to be able to beat.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

derekgore wrote: I hope so, but it is up to the Flowcode Engineers to pick it up & run with it from here.

We have Flowcode for PIC, AVR & ARM, however these days don't use it much due to it not supporting the STM8S parts which have become our mainstay micros due entirely to their very cheap price that no other manufacturer seems to be able to beat.
For this to make economic sense to Matrix TSL either a large number of users need these chips supported and would be willing to pay for the chip pack (increase the user base) or you (your company) must be willing to pay a considerable amount of money to have Flowcode support these devices.
Would you expect anything like this to happen?
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

derekgore

Post by derekgore »

kersing wrote:
derekgore wrote: Would you expect anything like this to happen?
From our perspective, we paid Actum Solutions (in your country of The Netherlands) for the STM8S target to support these cheap micros. Cost was several thousand Euros, but the Realizer product is very nice programming software.

Like Flowcode, Realizer also contains a fully working simulator.

So, we are now not likely to pay for the entire development of an STM8S chip pack for use with Flowcode. Our only hope was that enough other people out there wanted it & Matrix therefore felt it was worth supporting.

Benj has asked Flowcode users above if they have an interest in supporting the STM8S, so let's hope a few more people chip in saying "yes".

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

we paid Actum Solutions (in your country of The Netherlands) for the STM8S target to support these cheap micros. Cost was several thousand Euros, but the Realizer product is very nice programming software.
If you have a developed a tool which you say is very good ,what is your interest then trying to push Flow code to support it, which obviously they do not have a user base or interest from many users for it ,it would make no businesses sense for MATRIX(not speaking on their behave only my opinion).
Whether you like it or not Microchip rule the 8 bit world in size of sales ,peripherals supported number of mcu families and cost .
Benj has asked Flowcode users above if they have an interest in supporting the STM8S, so let's hope a few more people chip in saying "yes".
looking at this post not much reaction .If you were looking at STM32, I would agree that you will get a lot of support STM32 is very popular however Microchip is edging in on them :D
besides this in the 16 bit world microchip has also a very strong present with out performing almost all other manufacturers.

derekgore

Post by derekgore »

QMESAR wrote: If you have a developed a tool which you say is very good ,what is your interest then trying to push Flow code to support it
It would have allowed us to easily & quickly migrate our existing Flowcode designs from the 8 bit Microchip parts to the STM8S parts :)

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

That makes sense :D

celebriums

Post by celebriums »

I used to ST6, ST7 MCU's in automotive sector. STM8 Series are very popular. (For example new project 500k pieces)
STM8 series very cheap. I think, Flowcode is supported STM8 series.

Flowcode has very successfuly program. I used flowcode and to be pleased.

I'm installed Realizer Bronze 4.50 program to my PC. It seen program is professional and I like that. But 1589 Euro :shock:
:D :D
Sincerely Regards
Sadık SUME

www.kaandesign.com.tr