some strange problems with DMX slave on arduino nano

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 7.

Moderator: Benj

chrisbooth1957

some strange problems with DMX slave on arduino nano

Post by chrisbooth1957 »

i have finaly got somewhere but it has raised yet more questions

to help debug the reciver i conected a wireledd dmx reciver card stright to the seriel input and conected it to my desk using a wireless doungle , only problem is i have to remove the conection to program . i had problems from the start using an oled display so tried using a i2c lcd same problem then i discovered i had to drop the frequincy down to 100 k to get it to drive the display ( soft ware seriel messes up the dmx recive too)
i can get it to display the first 10 chanes is use hardware for both the dmx and i2c and set the i2c too 100k

when i expand the program to recive 10 channels it does nort recive as it should

i have tried programing the nano using a programer as thought it may have been the arduino boot loder still the same , i was corerect in my last post without a dmx signel it just hanges waiting for an input
Attachments
nano_dmx_3.fcfx
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
nano_dmx_3_100k_i2c+10chan.fcfx
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: some strange problems with DMX slave on arduino nano

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Thanks for the PMs. Can we take things public again for the moment as it's very easy for PMs to get ignored or lost and sifting through them can be a pain.

I have had a go at upgrading the DMX Slave component so that it now allows 512 channels and also re-done some of the tool tips to make them more obvious about what is going on.

I've also tried to improve the time out so the Receive function shouldn't block forever when no DMX master signal is present.
DMX512Slave.fcpx
(11.26 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Let me know how you get on.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Here is an updated LCD component with the I2C Baud properties exposed. Hopefully this should solve the problem you were having where the baud rate was being reset on reloading the project.

Simply copy the attached file into your "Flowcode 7/components" folder and restart Flowcode.
lcd_I2C.fcpx
(26.21 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

chrisbooth1957

Post by chrisbooth1957 »

No still defaults to 256 as soon as I hit enter. I have been battling with the DMX slave and wondering if anyone here can explain the problems I am having with it. I was using an Arduino Nano and i2c LCD display with major problems so now have made a simple version using an Uno and LCD shield to prove it is not the i2c and other things messing it up
The program attached works with my lighting desk, if I remove the second interrupt call before the one second display and the sliders full up (255) it displays alternant 255 and 000 (flashing), not a steady 255, if I now change the delay from one second to 1ms it works again. I suspect for some reason it is not waiting for the break (the start of the dmx chain) when it should. the other thing of interest is if I move the interrupt outside the main loop so it is only called once at start up the interrupt does not work. I am not sure but I think maybe it returned from the interrupt with the interrupt disabled hence why calling it before the delay has an effect (note I get a warning from the compiler about the second interrupt)
Last night I downloaded an Arduino sketch on the same hardware and it worked without problem

Here is a link to a video showing the problem I am having

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQpBhTzWM_M

it should be a steady 255
i have noticed that a lot of the time the first channel is stuck at 128 as well , and the channels are displaced by 1 ie i set to dmx address 0 the second display reads the first channel
Attachments
test.fcfx
(21.84 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

chrisbooth1957

Post by chrisbooth1957 »

looks like the problem of not being able to set 512 is fixed i was hit by the windows bug of it renaming files i download rather than overriting them i had to deleate all the download folder and try again , i had noticed that i had 2 files with the same name dmxslave and dmxslave(1)

but still has the other problems