How save power in your project

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 7.

Moderator: Benj

MJU

How save power in your project

Post by MJU »

I've been watching a lot of Youtube movies about saving power on microcontroller projects.

I want to build something that is powered with battery's and that should work autonomous for a while.
When I started testing I was amazed with the amount of power my Arduino used.
I've never measured the current of a project because I always powered the project from an power adapter.

I found out that I used 50mA when it wasn't doing anything particular.

I soon found out that to reduce power consumption there were a lot of tricks available.
- The Arduino is powered from a simple linear voltage converter (cheap, but inefficient)
- It has a few LED's that consume power
- There are a few features that use power even when they aren't used (serial ports, ADC, PWM and so on)
- Some settings can reduce power without compromising the working of the MCU
- Chips like the ones used on Arduino have many ways to set them a sleep (or idle)
- And so on.

I've learned a few tips and tricks that I want everyone to know.
I also want everyone to post their own ideas and tips.
Maybe we can even get Matrix to implement features that can be used in projects to reduce power consumption. :-)

Here are already a few tricks that can be used with an Arduino to reduce power.
- Get rid of the voltage converter and use a modern DC to DC converter
- Get rid of the LED's
- Put all non used ports in a high or low state (strange but that reduces the power consumption)
- Use some of the many power saving states (POWER_MODE_IDLE)
- Lower the clock speed.
- Disable all non used protocols (power_adc_disable(),power_spi_disable(),power_timer0_disable(), power_timer1_disable(),power_timer2_disable(),power_twi_disable())
- Use the Power Reduction Register to put the chip in a certain lower power state (see chapter 14.12.3. Power Reduction Register on page 71 of the datasheet).
- Wake the chip from it's sleep mode via an interrupt or even by a timer generated interrupt. (look for examples in this serie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvUunBQQD0 )

I hope this can be a start of a long list of power saving tricks for many types of MCU's
Please add your own tips please..

@Matrix, could you start thinking of a feature that can put a chip to sleep, and have settings that could be set to get it fully working again?