Link Step Failed

For C and ASSEMBLY users to post questions and code snippets for programming in C and ASSEMBLY. And for any other C or ASM course related questions.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

alurosevic

Link Step Failed

Post by alurosevic »

OLD POST:
Just wondering whether anyone is getting similar issues when importing to MPLAB. Ive made a piece of software to display a bar chart of an ADC. It simulates perfectly and compiles to .asm/.hex file stating it has only used 50% of the resources on PIC16F873. However when i import the .asm to MPLAB and click to build the project it comes up with "BUILD FAIL" due to "Link Step Fail", i read up on this as being a ram issue, yet Flowcode states im only using half the memory? Im confused?

NEW:
Ive attached a new copy of the code .fcf file, its not a big piece of code, all it does is produce a graph relating to the ADC, and also theres a snippet of c code that has no relation yet, but will eventually be used (does calculation for percentage). The code does the same as the above problems, i dont understand how im using up all the memory on such a simple bit of code. Any help would be grateful/ suggestions on how to improve efficiency as i have quite a bit more to produce.

Note: Sorry i put this in the wrong section originally.
Attachments
new.fcf
(21.73 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Link Step Failed

Post by Benj »

Hello,

You are running out of code space because you are actually using quite a large program and you are using things like floating point number manuipluation which will eat up a lot of program space on the device. You could upgrade your chip to a 16F877A and this would double the amount of program memory you have to play with.