Automatic Coil Winder

A forum where Flowcode v6 user created components can be shared, discussed and reviewed.

Moderator: Benj

Benj
Matrix Staff

Automatic Coil Winder

Post by Benj »

Here is a set of 3D printable CAD files and Flowcode source to build and control a coil winding machine using stepper motors.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:401734

Includes a short video

[/youtube]

dazz

Re: Automatic Coil Winder

Post by dazz »

Ben
is there a build log of the printer anywhere

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Dazz,

What do you mean by a build log? For my printer it would be long!!! :D

I have entered a few instructions on the tab of the thingiverse page but that's about it at the moment.

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi Benj
Sorry fella got my dimp head on :lol: , what nozzle and hot components did you use etc

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Dazz,

No worries :D we all have those days.

My printer is a tri-colour RepRapPro Mendel with 3 x 0.5mm extruders with 1.75mm plastic filament. I generally print PLA as its a lot easier and you don't have to wait 30 mins for the bed to get up to temperature like you do with ABS. Saying this ABS is dishwasher safe so I use this for things like cookie cutters where they need to be cleaned or extra strong. Printed the coil winder with a layer height of 0.2mm, though my printer can cope quite well with 0.1 - 0.4mm layer heights.

I have the older RepRapPro Mendel from a year and a half ago so I have had to loose one of the extruders or you loose a great deal of the print area and the third extruder always catches on the bulldog clips holding the print bed in play. Printing in two colours is good enough for me and means I have a spare extruder should one of the other two break.

I went with a kit because I didn't want the headache of sourcing all the necessary parts and them making them all play nicely together. However some nice designs have surfaced on Thingiverse so might be worth looking around if your thinking of getting one. Since having the kit I've added some customisation like an additional cooling fan for fine detail and pulleys to allow the belts to stay on the bearings better.
20140427_230847.jpg
(154.01 KiB) Downloaded 2229 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

As I had the CAD files handy I thought I would import them onto the panel and get the program to simulate. The motor components are not right mesh wise but I don't think it matters too much.
CW1.jpg
CW1.jpg (115.34 KiB) Viewed 10069 times
Here is a version of the program with simulation.
CoilWinder.zip
(61.88 KiB) Downloaded 484 times