Various Suggestions

Please add any feature requests for Flowcode version 6 here

Moderator: Benj

Forum rules
Only feature requests will be considered here. General questions should not be posted in this forum.
Tom Stefanou

Various Suggestions

Post by Tom Stefanou »

Hello Team!,
First of all i would like to congratulate you for this breakthrough from V5 to V6.
I believe it is an honour for anyone that loves electronics/programming to own a copy of your software.
I was simply astonished from the capabilities of the new version.
Keep up the good work!

Now to the chase...

0) I think the loading of the application takes significantly more time. Is it just me that have an issue? maybe.
1) When i open a saved project file outside Flowcode - from windows explorer - it starts but after the small loading window flowcode closes.
When i run flowcode and select open file and open the same project or any other everything is fine. Strange?
2) I would love to see an option for hiding the damn annoying Simulation completed window.
3) When you double click a component i would like it to be added in the dashboard and not the system panel. I would to be able to select that.
4) When i edit a decision icon or almost any other chart icon, Display Name field has the focus and the content of the field is selected for immediate replacement,
e.g you press a letter and the whole string is replaced. Would be so convenient if this behavious remains the same for all the fields. e.g I press Tab on my keyboard and whatever content is on the
If field is selected/highlighted blue for replacing.
5) Lets say i edit a component e.g Quad7Segment (behaviour is similar everywhere though) and i have a internal / external variable that i want to select. When i start typing the list of the appropriate variables shows up - awesome feature btw!!! - but unfortunately i have to select the variable i want with my mouse, i cannot go through them with my up/down arrow keys. I would like to be able to select them with the arrow keys without using my mouse.
6) When i double click on any of the primary objects on the left, input / output / loop / decision / switch / etc, the new icon to be added right after the last icon on the flowchart or right after the currently selected icon.

Im sorry for the long post in advance.
Guys once again a big Bravo for your efforts / accomplishments.

Best regards,

Tom Stefanou

JonnyW

Re: Various Suggestions

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill tackle them one at a time.

0) Maybe so. How much is significantly? Previously a lot of VB stuff would have already been on the system or stored in the registry. Flowcode 6 now has all that functionality built in and component loading has to be dynamic, plus there are a lot more features, but I wouldn't expect too much of an increase. Starting your lists at 0 by the way - sign of a true programmer!

1) A few people have reported this bug, but I am struggling to replicate it here. Not sure what to do with it, may be something in the file association. I wonder - what about passing a file to Flowcode on the command line: <install_path>\Flowcode.exe <project.fcfx>?

2) Not a fan? You can click anywhere on the screen to get rid of it. Youre not the first though. Its just finding time in between bugs and features to make changes like that.

3) Yes, I think there needs to be an option to 'Prefer the dashboard' somewhere.

4) Replacing the contents of code automatically can be awkward as code can be accidentally lost. I don't know with this one - personally I find Windows tendency to auto-select edit fields very annoying, but then the computers I grew up with never did that, so maybe its just me. Ctrl-A should select all in anything with syntax highlighting though.

5) I've not noticed that. Cheers, see what I can do with it.

6) I originally added something similar in v5 and was told to take it out - I forget the exact reason, though I remember sighing and shaking my head a lot through v5 development. Perhaps there is time to put it back in.

Cheers for the feedback,

Jonny

Tom Stefanou

Re: Various Suggestions

Post by Tom Stefanou »

Hey JonnyW!,
Thank you for your prompt reply...

0) Maybe my system needs a sys restore... 12 sec to open project window from running application

1) By using command line, project opens normally.

2) If i could only see it in a status bar at the lower left / right of the window would be just as effective for me... :)

3) -

4) Even if you accidentaly delete something you can press Ctrl-Z and restore everything back as it was. Most importanly i would like this feature for the following scenario. You add a new decision icon.
When you edit it has a 0 in the if field. Normally you want to select a variable, but you forgot to highlight the 0, so you have to select it and delete it afterwards. Or maybe even better just leave the if field blank?

5) -

6) :)

Thank you so much for your time!

Cheers,

Tom