custom objects missing

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

Errol

custom objects missing

Post by Errol »

I installed V6 a couple of days ago and am still trying to figure out how to use it.
missing: CUSTOM objects under Misc heading, I though that there was going to be a tool to create your own custom devices? :(
import from v5 to v6 does not work (using the import function under File ) :(
I'm not sure what I expected in V6. But this is not it.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: custom objects missing

Post by kersing »

To import v5 flow charts just use open to open it.

Creating your own components is very well possible, it is done with Flowcode itself, not a separate tool. Check the examples on the wiki, there is a step by step guide on how to do this.

They are not called custom components any more, you specify the name yourself, and you are able to specify in which group the component should be added so they look like the MM provided components.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Errol

Post by Errol »

Thanks Kersing for the feed back. I will check wiki,
I did try the open and it does not work. You have to redo all the components before your old flowcode will work. I have now tried it with several of my flowcode programs. I found Benj patch and have applied it but that did not fix the issue. I will try it again tomorrow but I do not hold a lot of hope.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Errol.

Could you send us your original v5 program and we will investigate why the conversion is not going through correctly.

Errol

Post by Errol »

Hi Ben
Here is my FlowCode program, not finished more of a test than any thing.
Hope this helps..
Cheers
Errol

ps: can you give me the url to the custom component write up
Attachments
Better almost right.fcf
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi errol
here it is http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... 57&t=12636
Please bear in mind that a few bits have changed, when you see the following Drag a Panel command click the SIM icon (its the same thing)
If you appear to get stuck following the tut just holler and someone will be able to help
Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Errol.

When you say Flowcode fails to convert the file, can you give more details - does it throw up an error, and what stage does it get to (does it prompt you to save a new file?).

Here is the converted file, anyway.
Better almost right_v6.fcfx
(13.55 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
It converted here no probs, so to find the issue you are having I will need more information.

Cheers,

Jonny

Errol

Post by Errol »

Hi Joonny
If you just load the flowcode that I down load and use single step or run you get errors
This is what happens: I hope this helps. I'm going to re-input in V6 this simple program, I will also down load your program.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
(60.3 KiB) Downloaded 6787 times

Errol

Post by Errol »

OK Jonny
I think the switchbank is no longer an option. I down Loaded your v6 of my program and it errored on switchbank. You should post a list of those components that are no longer supported.
Version 6 is starting to look like window 8 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I hope that is not true but :?:

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Errol,

If a component is included it is supported. However, you are testing a BETA version of the product. If you do not want to be bothered with bugs you should wait for the release which will have many of the current issues fixed. Do you recall there is a warning message before the download that states: "... there will be bugs ..."

Regards,

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi.

Every component in v5 is supported in v6, and more. Jac is right - if you encounter issues like this you need to remember that this is a pre-release Beta. It is not finished and you will encounter bugs. The reason for an open Beta is so that our users can report their experiences and opinions and help us fix and make a better product.

Thanks for your continued help.

Jonny

Errol

Post by Errol »

Hi Jonny
I know it is a Beta, So can you tell me where the "SwitchBank" is located? I have tried all of the INPUT devices but no switchbank.
Please don't get me wrong I think Flowcode 4 & 5 were great products and maybe I'm expecting to much from 6. I have already
found several thing that I think are great improvements.
As far as the 3D, can you import 3D objects from other programs? I have alot of 3D images in a WRL format. If you would like I
can send some to you.
Cheers
Errol

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hello.

In v6 arrays of components like this are done through cloning. There is a Switch Array component, it should be in the inputs according to the docs. It gives a default switch image but I think you can link it to turn anything into a set of switches (I'm not sure, I didn't write that one).
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/wiki/in ... 8Inputs%29

Our components list is auto-generated from the component files every now and again. Last update was this afternoon. If you are looking for a particular component try:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/wiki/in ... Components
It is a work in progress, but hopefully before long all the fields will be complete.

As far as 3D, yes you can import from other programs, just drag-drop the file over Flowcode, or drag a 'mesh' object on and select a .mesh file for it. We have our own XML (and compressed XML) format for meshes but allow imports from other formats. Unfortunately the formats supported at present are just OBJ, STL and binary STL. We are always interested in other formats and VRML files would be a good addition. I have found a grammar for this, any sample files you have would be great, thanks.

Jonny

Errol

Post by Errol »

Hi Jonny
Here are a couple wrl files.
You may need a viewer, try sketchup8 or you can down load happy105.rar which has a view.
I guess I will not attach the files, I get "The extension wrl is not allowed"
If you want happy105 to look at I will send it to you, can you attach a "rar" file?
cheers
Errol

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Errol.

Yes, anything that cant be attached, stick it in a .zip or .rar and it should come through OK.

Cheers,

Jonny