New to this forum

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

vinz

New to this forum

Post by vinz »

Hi to all, I'm an electronic hobbyist and have been in the hobby since 1991. So very much familiar with diagrams and making circuits for any projects. I am excited to know more about the Flowcode system and planning to purchase them once I learn how to apply it. I don't know any programming but with this flowcode I think I can program anything? Does anyone here in the forum who has no knowledge in assembly language or C programming but now is using the flowcode and can do everything? Thank you for your reply. I'm from the Philippines.

PINTO
Flowcode v5 User

Re: New to this forum

Post by PINTO »

Hi Vinz,
You can't program anything you can only program the processors that are relevante to the Flowcode version that you buy (eg. PIC, ARM and AVR).
If you interested in other manufactures than you have to wait for Matrix to come up with new variantes.
If you're interested in wrighting your own programs to the PIC, ARM & AVR than I can assure you that you will have a program running in your processor in less than 15 minutes.
You don't have to know anything about C, Assembly or any other language for that matter, the only thing that you need to know is to understand how a flow chart works and start placing Icons.
I have a problem learning new languages that can be technical or social but with flowcode I sailed into it with no effort at all, in a matter of minutes I had my first Night Rider running lights working on PIC16F877.
I've just finished with a project that controls 8 sets of traffic lights controlled via Canbus using 8 PIC16F876 20Mhz Chips.
I would recomend that you buy the Microcontroller Systems Engineering as well the Flowcode 4 for the three microcontrollers, you will not regret it.
Please note that this is my opinion and experiences with Flowcode and that other members of the forum may disagree.

Pinto Ramos

vinz

Post by vinz »

Hello Pinto, Thank you for your reply. I don't mean other brand of microcontroller be programmed in flowcode, of course only those under it. What I want to know is that can i program anything on Pic thru flowcode? Just like what you did in your knight rider running lights and the 8 sets of traffic lights. Anything that come up on your mind? Thank you again for your reply. Is this RSA your location stands for Riyadh Saudi Arabia?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello

This may seem biased but I started as a C programmer and now even for my own projects I use Flowcode as it helps to get around remembering syntax as well as being nice and quick to use. I also use the custom components a lot as they give me the flexibility of C with the speed of programming using a flowchart.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Warning - I am also biased!

But I think Flowcode is pretty good at what it does. When we started developing it, we wanted it to be easy to learn and to use. But we also wanted it to be flexible enough so that is goes beyond that. I think this combination of ease and flexibility makes Flowcode very unique.

I don't think any other microcontroller programming environment comes close to enabling you to get a project started, especially if you are new to programming. Your first LED flashing program or LCD program from beginning to end in 10 minutes - with no prior knowledge of programming.

But at the other end of the scale, another of Flowcode's great strengths is that it is flexible enough to allow you to do pretty much anything. But you do need to have a knowledge of C and/or Assembly for this.

Flowcode's development team are all programmers who know C and Assembly well. But we all now use Flowcode to do development. When we need to do something that Flowcode cannot do, we write a small C routine inside Flowcode. I can't remember the last time I used a text-based IDE for microcontroller development.

But I know I am biased, so I'd love to hear from other users about their experiences...

PINTO
Flowcode v5 User

Post by PINTO »

Hi Vinz,
RSA means Republic of South Africa. Beatifull country and beatifull people. We are going to host the 2010 FIFA Soccer Wourld Cup, Massive big event.
Look the support from Matrix is good and the guys on the forum are quite helpfull as well you just ask and someone usaully crops in.

Good luck

Pinto Ramos