Anyone using pre-XP Windows?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

When we created Flowcode 4 AVRs, we had to limit it to Windows XP and later due to an issue with the C compiler. We also fixed a minor bug with the display under Vista, which means Flowcode itself will not work on pre-XP systems.

For the Flowcode 4 PICmicros version, the current release will work in versions of Windows before XP (i.e. Win2k, WinME and mayne win98SE). But I am thinking of including the Vista fix in the next update of Flowcode 4 PICmicros - meaning that Flowcode for PICmicros will only work under WinXP and later.

Is this going to be a problem? If you are not using Flowcode on XP or Vista, then please let me know so I can guage how many users will be affected.

Peter
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Peter »

Hi Steve,

I'm using Win2k, with no plans to change in the near future, so if you went ahead i would be unable to upgrade.

Peter
Peter

msnm4

Re: Anyone using pre-XP Windows?

Post by msnm4 »

Hi, I am using Win98SE in an old computer which I use to interface with my pic micro hardware. This old pc is not very fast, and has not big ram, thus the OS. The change would be a problem for me.

Regards

Mauricio

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

The replies I have received to this question show that by far the majority of Flowcode users use XP or Vista. So, I will proceed with the update.

This means that the next update of Flowcode for PICmicros will not be compatible with pre-XP Windows. So, do not update Flowcode if you use Win2k, WinME or Win98.

However, all is not lost. We will continue to make the older version of Flowcode available for users of older operating systems. Also, I might have a look to see how easy it would be to produce a version of Flowcode (for PICmicros) that is compatible with these older OS's.

Peter
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Peter »

Hi Steve,

Any plans for a Linux version?

Peter
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

No plans for Linux - it would mean a very major re-write.

However, I think someone has successfully run Flowcode on Wine (although I have no details).

Peter
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Peter »

Steve,

Thanks for suggesting Wine. I'm using a dual boot (win2k/FC8) machine, and following your suggestion I've just tried running the executable under Wine. It starts up OK but without any of the components registered, which is odd as this is the self same set-up that runs well under Windows. I'll have another go and let you know if I have any success, but in the meantime if you have any suggestions about how to persuade it to find the components I'd be grateful.

Peter
Peter

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

There is a batch file in the "Components" directory that should install the components.

If this does not work, then you can "register" the components individually using "regsvr32.exe" (it should be in the "Windows\System32" directory). And then run the ".reg" file in the "Flowcode\Components" directory.

Peter
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Peter »

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Peter

nils

Post by nils »

Hi Peter

Flowcode should work as soon as you registered the Components, either by
- batch file
- or by simply running the installer inside Wine.

the latter worked for me fine in Wine 0.9.55 and with Flowcode AVR. the only problem left is getting the USB programmer to work and that seems impossible to do right now :(. So I have to stick with a virtual machine and WinXP as long as there is no Mac version around.

cheers,
nils
Custom_Code.c help needed? -> http://tinyurl.com/2y2mzq
Flowchart high quality vector graphic output =>>http://tinyurl.com/6sx2sx