Sourceboost Licence and code size

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

echase

Sourceboost Licence and code size

Post by echase »

For a 16F886 porgram I used to get compiling messages such as:-

Memory Usage Report
===================
RAM available:368 bytes, used:133 bytes (36.2%), free:235 bytes (63.8%),
Heap size:235 bytes, Heap max single alloc:95 bytes
ROM available:8192 words, used:2764 words (33.8%), free:5428 words (66.2%)

But after adding a few lines to my program, and one 37 wide number array I get:-

License exceeded by RAM: 0 bytes, ROM: 262 words
You have reached the limit of the Standard License
PIC12,PIC16 max code size:4096 words, max RAM banks: Unlimited, Non commercial use only
You can upgrade your license. Please visit: http://www.sourceboost.com

Is there something simple I can do to cut back the size of my program to fit the licence? I tried to seriously cut down on the array size but does not help a lot.

What is the best way to upgrade my Sourceboost license? Buying another version of Flowcode or just Sourceboost? Can Sourceboost be upgraded rather than buying a whole new version? The above message implies an upgrade price but their website only seems to list new licenses. Sourceboost website is a bit confusing as it keeps talking about the C2C compiler – I thought we used the Sourceboost complier.

I have v 3.2 Flowcode Student.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

The professional version of Flowcode uses a licence of BoostC that does not have this limitation, so upgrading to this version could be one solution.

The message suggests that the program size is the problem. You could make sure you use BYTE-sized variables where possible - using INT variables unnecessarily will increase your code size by a fair amount.

echase

Post by echase »

I note that I reach the limit when the % in this line gets to 50% which is does if I have too many lines of code, even if I get rid of the large array.

RAM available:368 bytes, used:133 bytes (36.2%), free:235 bytes (63.8%)

What has that got to do with 2k code size limits? Or is a RAM limit different from as a code size limit?

The datasheet for Flowcode is contradictory. The table of features on page 8 says that only the demo version has a code size limit of 2k but in words it says "For lower specification versions (note plural) there is a limit on the size of compiled code that Flowcode will produce”.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the strap line “no code no limits” if I have a 2 k limit on my version.

How much to upgrade to Flowcode Professional?

Do my long variable names affect this limit?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Ok, I see the problem. Flowcode uses a C compiler called BoostC, which comes with certain licences. The licence table for BoostC is here:

http://www.sourceboost.com/Products/Boo ... tions.html

Different versions of Flowcode use different versions of BoostC. For example:

Flowcode "Professional" uses "Pro" BoostC licence.
Flowcode "Student" uses "Standard" BoostC licence.
Flowcode "Free/Demo" uses "Free" BoostC licence.

Our Flowcode datasheet has neglected to explain the full limitation of the student version. I apologise for this error in the datasheet.

So to clear things up:

Flowcode "Professional" has no ROM code limit and no RAM code limit.
Flowcode "Student" has 4k (16f) or 8k (18F) ROM limit and no RAM limit.
Flowcode "Free/Demo" has 2k (16f) or 4k (18F) ROM limit, plus RAM limitations.

The upgrade cost from Student to Professional is basically the difference in price between them - so you will not incur a cost penalty for upgrading.

And long variable names do not contribute to code length, so they will not create a problem.

We made the decision to offer a cheaper cut-down "student/home" version available to those people who did not want the full unlimited "professional" version. I believe this is a common policy made by many software manufacturers. We also offer a free version so that potential customers can test-drive Flowcode to see if it suits their needs. It is not our intention to deliberately mislead customers into thinking they are getting more than they are.

And a quick word about tag-lines. I have a copy of "Windows XP Home Edition" in front of me and it says "Experience the Best of the Digital Age" (not sure what the tag line of the pro version is).

joebanks
Flowcode v5 User

Re:

Post by joebanks »

Steve wrote:Ok, I see the problem. Flowcode uses a C compiler called BoostC, which comes with certain licences. The licence table for BoostC is here:

http://www.sourceboost.com/Products/Boo ... tions.html

Different versions of Flowcode use different versions of BoostC. For example:

Flowcode "Professional" uses "Pro" BoostC licence.
Flowcode "Student" uses "Standard" BoostC licence.
Flowcode "Free/Demo" uses "Free" BoostC licence.

Our Flowcode datasheet has neglected to explain the full limitation of the student version. I apologise for this error in the datasheet.

So to clear things up:

Flowcode "Professional" has no ROM code limit and no RAM code limit.
Flowcode "Student" has 4k (16f) or 8k (18F) ROM limit and no RAM limit.
Flowcode "Free/Demo" has 2k (16f) or 4k (18F) ROM limit, plus RAM limitations.

The upgrade cost from Student to Professional is basically the difference in price between them - so you will not incur a cost penalty for upgrading.

And long variable names do not contribute to code length, so they will not create a problem.

We made the decision to offer a cheaper cut-down "student/home" version available to those people who did not want the full unlimited "professional" version. I believe this is a common policy made by many software manufacturers. We also offer a free version so that potential customers can test-drive Flowcode to see if it suits their needs. It is not our intention to deliberately mislead customers into thinking they are getting more than they are.

And a quick word about tag-lines. I have a copy of "Windows XP Home Edition" in front of me and it says "Experience the Best of the Digital Age" (not sure what the tag line of the pro version is).

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I bought the student version V5. I have just completed soldering the my components to my board and I am in the middle of creating a program for the board and I am now getting this message as well. The software at no point mentioned to me this limitation until now. Clearly flowcode just want money from students by tricking them into developing programs that the software will eventually fail to work for. Why would I want to upgrade to a professional version when I am a genuine student who just wants to program a PIC.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Sourceboost Licence and code size

Post by kersing »

You are referring to an 6 year old message. Things have changed over the years:

if you download the Flowcode V5 data sheet, available here, you will find the limit clearly listed on page 12. The home version is equal to the student version (as is evident from the price).
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

joebanks
Flowcode v5 User

Post by joebanks »

kersing wrote:You are referring to an 6 year old message. Things have changed over the years:

if you download the Flowcode V5 data sheet, available here, you will find the limit clearly listed on page 12. The home version is equal to the student version (as is evident from the price).
Thank you for the reply, I never read this because the software was a present. What is the point in limiting the software so much for students/ home edition? If i had known flowcode only let professionals write useful programs I would of got a refund. My program currently isn't even that big, Now I have a full project that is useless and the project is only for my own use (hobby). Flowcode will only let me use half of the ROM of the PIC I am using. Even though this software was paid for I now have to program the rest in C code or download a different software if I want to continue this project, because there is no way I can afford to pay £150 to use the other 50% of my PIC.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

FLOWCODE: "NO CODING, NO LIMITS..."

Kenrix2
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Kenrix2 »

I think you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that you can now upgrade your V5 Home to V6 Chip Pack for a very small fee. V6, as far as I know, has no program size restriction. Looking at your photo and the fact that you have programmed up to the V5 Home limit, you definitely have a knack for this hobby. I hope you get to finish your project.

joebanks
Flowcode v5 User

Post by joebanks »

Kenrix2 wrote:I think you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that you can now upgrade your V5 Home to V6 Chip Pack for a very small fee. V6, as far as I know, has no program size restriction. Looking at your photo and the fact that you have programmed up to the V5 Home limit, you definitely have a knack for this hobby. I hope you get to finish your project.
Thank you for the reply. The only fee to upgrade to V6, I seem to be getting is £ 39.50, which is almost the same price paid for my current version (V5). In addition, I have looked at the new features of V6 and I don't actually need any of them. So paying £39.50 to be able to program the other half of my PIC seems absolutely crazy! Isn't there just a way to unlock "Pro Sourceboost" so I can get on with my project? :x

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I have looked at the new features of V6 and I don't actually need any of them.
Just because you don't need specific features right now doesn't mean they won't come in very handy later on. Especially when you see what the said new features can do for you. We are all very excited about v6 at Matrix as we are literally only just scratching the surface of all the new possibilities. The new component creator means we can very easily expand the components to provide much more functionality which you will be entitled to for free as long as a Pro license is not required.

My task for tonight is to try and write a routine to combine a accelerometer and gyro to eventually build up to a fully simulated quadrocopter which simulates or interacts with real world hardware.