write to flash component

Moderator: Benj

mytekcontrols

Re: write to flash component

Post by mytekcontrols »

Thanks benp, I'll keep that in mind. However I've been thinking more about why Benj's simple 2 line BoostC examples seemed to fail. Keep in mind that these worked perfectly for me until I reset my ECIO-40P, either with the reset button or by powering down, and then back up. Unlike a normal PIC, the ECIO goes through a BootLoader sequence before relinquishing control to my actual program. Is there a possibility that the BootLoader is somehow messing things up... perhaps even erasing the unused flash locations?

I guess the best way to find out would be to substitute a stand-alone PIC18F device, program it with my MeLabs programmer, and then try resetting the chip and see what happens.
Michael St. Pierre
FlowCode V3&V4 Pro Registered User
Manufacture: Heat Load Controllers,
and a variety of other widgets.

benp

Post by benp »

I have 2 questions:
1-With the benj method, is it possible to write just one byte at one adress?
2-If yes, is it possible to write if the content is anything else than FF?
If 1 and 2 are true, In my opinion, to do this, boostC needs to read 64 bytes in RAM,erase64 bytes, modify one byte in RAM, write 64 bytes. This means 128 writes if you want to modify the 64 bytes(unless boostC optimise the code). In one of my application (gps datalogger), it can be a problem.

Can you point your final working 2 lines because I is now difficult to find the right data in the forum.
If your bootloader really write to flash each restart, your flash can be stressed too...
Regards
INSA 1er cycle GCP projects with or without eblocks:
http://www.youtube.com/user/INSAgcp

mytekcontrols

Post by mytekcontrols »

1-With the benj method, is it possible to write just one byte at one adress?
Yes
2-If yes, is it possible to write if the content is anything else than FF?
Yes, in my program I was writing the time/date-stamped status of 4 switches into sequential flash memory cells. So in essence each time a switch state changed in hardware, a new sequential line of data consisting of: "month-day-year-hours-minutes-seconds-switch status (single byte snapshot of input port)" was written into the Flash memory.
Can you point your final working 2 lines because I is now difficult to find the right data in the forum.
Benj's BoostC code for Flash Read/Write:
Read from Flash Memory

Code: Select all

volatile char* register_ptr = (char*)FCV_ADDR;
FCV_TEMP = *register_ptr;
Write to Flash Memory

Code: Select all

volatile char* register_ptr = (char*)FCV_ADDR;
*register_ptr = FCV_TEMP;
If your bootloader really write to flash each restart, your flash can be stressed too...
I don't know if it is, but quite frankly I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem. I really wish that Benj or someone else with good BoostC knowledge would hop in here and give us some better insight on this problem. in the mean time, I have placed an order for a PIC18F4455, and will be trying my code on it to see what happens.

I was also thinking that perhaps a post in the BoostC forums might get us some answers as well.
Michael St. Pierre

mytekcontrols

Post by mytekcontrols »

After taking a long hard look at my current project, I decided that I can make due with the available space in the internal 256 byte EEPROM. Because this is much easier to implement within FlowCode, I have opted to fore go the use of Flash memory for my data storage. So for the time being, I will not be putting anymore effort into getting the BoostC Flash read/write code to work properly for my application.
Michael St. Pierre