General error displayed, all other errors suppresed.

Moderator: Benj

medelec35
Matrix Staff

General error displayed, all other errors suppresed.

Post by medelec35 »

Re Flowcode V4.3.7.63. I have recently learned ( :P ) any mission semicolons produce a general error to be displayed in the information window and will prevent any other errors (if more are present) from being displayed.

E:\pwm flowcode test.c(160): error: general error

Code: Select all

E:\pwm flowcode test.c(169): error: general error
pwm flowcode test.c failure

failure

Return code = 1

Flowcode was unable to compile the flowchart's C code due to the following errors:

If your flowchart contains C code, please review this carefully. If your flowchart contains no C-code or you have thoroughly reviewed the code, contact Technical Support.
FINISHED
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: General error displayed, all other errors suppresed.

Post by Benj »

Hi Medelec,

This is the compilers way of bailing out if too many errors are detected. The message comes directly from the BoostC compiler and is therefore not tied into Flowcode itself.

The only way of dealing with such a problem is to use a text editor with line numbering to look at the C code file outputted from Flowcode. Specifically the line numbers mentioned in the error report. In your case these where lines 160 and 169. Sometimes the problem may not be obvious and it may take a keen eye to determine what is causing the error but normally it is something straight forward like a missing semicolon or a missing bracket etc.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Also, the problem may be with a line close to the one listed rather than the exact line itself. I suppose this makes the debugging process more "interesting"!

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Thanks for your feedback Ben and Steve.
Benj wrote:This is the compilers way of bailing out if too many errors are detected.
This is what I have found.

If you miss out a semicolon in supplementary code window then you will get a general error.
So even if you only have one, two or three errors in total including missing semicolon, then all errors will be suppressed.

However if you leave a semicolon out of a C code block, and have other errors, all errors will be displayed including a missing semicolon!

Is that a bug?
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Sounds like a bug to me, Im currently waiting for the release of v7.0 of the sourceboost compiler as this is meant to deal with a large number of problems as well as potentially allowing any size arrays to be used on a PIC :)

When it has been released I will get hold of a copy and see if the bug remains. In the mean time I will send the BoostC developers a quick message detailing the problem to see if they have come across it, that way if they havnt already fixed it it will hopefully be fixed in the v7.0 release.