Linker/Assembler hang?

Moderator: Benj

jadiflow
Flowcode v5 User

Linker/Assembler hang?

Post by jadiflow »

Hi all, not sure this is a Flowcode bug (probably not), but maybe someone has seen it before and knows where the beef is. I'm stumped right now:

I'm compiling a PIC16F886 Flowcode program.
Preprocessing terminates fine, then the BoostC Linker/Assembler is launched.
It hangs after the log-on message, with no apparent progress indication.
An earlier version of the same sprogram completed without errors.
Changes are basically rearranging macro-calls, nothing that gives me a clue.

Any idea what could cause the Linker/Assembler to hang?

tia,

jan didden
Linear Audio

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Linker/Assembler hang?

Post by Benj »

Hello Jan

Some Antivirus software have flagged the BoostC compiler and the BoostC linker as a virus threat due to the double full stop in the filename. Maybe check that your antivirus has not grabbed hold of the linker. You would not be able to compile any programs if this is the case.

Just so you know I have confirmed that none of the files are actually infected with a virus. I have also sent emails out to the Antivirus companies for them to whitelist the files. Most seem to have been tied up now.

Other then this if you can replicate the problem then please send me a copy of the file that has problems and I will do a test compile on my system here.

jadiflow
Flowcode v5 User

Post by jadiflow »

Ben, test file is in the (e)mail.

Edit: I'm trying to selectively add and remove macro calls to pinpoint the issue, so far no success...

Thanks,

jan didden

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Jan

Yes it is ;) sorry I saw that in there before and managed to completely forget about it.

Ok I have now tested the file and my linker passes but with the following information.
Building CASM file
Serious Warning: Call stack usage exceeds:8!

Call Stack Usage Report
=======================
main and Task(s): hw used:8, exceeded by:0
interrupt: hw used:3, exceeded by:0
Memory Usage Report
===================
RAM available:368 bytes, used:156 bytes (42.4%), free:212 bytes (57.6%),
Heap size:212 bytes, Heap max single alloc:95 bytes
ROM available:8192 words, used:2850 words (34.8%), free:5342 words (65.2%)
Are you using any non default settings for the compiler options eg using the BoostC software stack?

jadiflow
Flowcode v5 User

Post by jadiflow »

Yes I'm using '-swcs 3 2' as option on the linker. Removing it doesn't change the linker hang though.

jan didden

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Jan

Do other programs compile ok then? This would suggest that the linker has not been swallowed by an antivirus.

I have tested your program here and it is compiling fine with and without the software stack option. The warning message I showed you before is gone when using the software stack.

Are you running anything intensive on your PC? I have a VB script that sometimes fails if I am using Excel or Outlook. It could also be a firewall or intensive antivirus that could be causing the linker to hang.

If you look near the top of the compile window then you will see the BoostC version. Please can you let me know if yours is older then the version shown below.

Eg - BoostC Optimizing C Compiler Version 6.95 (for PIC16 architecture)

Also just to confirm here are my linker settings.

C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe
-ld "C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f" -swcs 3 2

jadiflow
Flowcode v5 User

Post by jadiflow »

Hi Ben, thanks for checking.

I am using version 6.95 as well. Need to check the detailed options line, but the thing is, it compiles fine for one program and hangs for another. I tried randomly deleting macro calls from my program and sometimes that solves it, sometimes not. I can't find any logical connection.

OK this is my calling line:

C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe -swcs 3 2 -ld "C:\Program Files\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "TX control 4800bd-1.obj" -t PIC16F886 -d "C:\Documents and Settings\Janneman\Mijn documenten\Mijn Audio-designs\Project21\TX controller RFM23" -p "TX control 4800bd-1"

Can you make any chocolate from that ;-)

jan didden