Homw made PCB

For users of Matrix Multimedia Electronics software to discuss projects, circuits and any other electronics concepts.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Docara

Homw made PCB

Post by Docara »

Hi,

Trying to make a single sided PCB using a photo sensitive board and UV. For various reasons I cannot produce a Gerber File for a Fabrication company so have used Autocad for the design.

I'm struggling with making a very basic PCB Mask using a Brother Laser Printer and Laser transparency film/acetate whatever its called. The problem is the resultant print is just too transparent and my UV is 'affecting' the board underneath the mask. If I do multiple prints the component pin holes don't line up correctly.

So my question is - as I'm probably going to have to use an inkjet printer with pigmented ink, has anyone had any experience of which inks to use eg Canons ChromaLife100, Photo Quality inks etc etc to give me near 0% transparency for successful developing.

Thanks
Doc

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Homw made PCB

Post by kersing »

Have you considered a laser printer with the toner transfer method to create a mask? Google should yield plenty results if you need information on it.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

Hi Docara

Have you seen this product ?

https://www.techniks.com/index.htm

how to guide

https://www.techniks.com/how_to.htm

Not used it my self yet though

I have looked at for a pcb that i am making that is too costly for a 1 off at at pcb fab company

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Docara

Post by Docara »

HI Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have seen the 'peel n print' stuff used it once with dubious results vowed I'd never use it again. However it might be worth reconsidering as I have to solder 4mm wire on the tracks to carry 30A so they are wide it might work but for £20 its a bit steep for a maybe

Docara

Post by Docara »

kersing wrote:Have you considered a laser printer with the toner transfer method to create a mask? Google should yield plenty results if you need information on it.
Hi Kersing,

Thanks I just don't have the confidence in the Brother to deposit enough toner! Of course it could be different on paper instead of film

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

as mentioned, it's most likely down to the film you are using with the laser, and that you should try searching for something more specific (than say OHP film)
I found this.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/laserstar-pcb ... film-n43kt
I've not used this myself so cannot confirm it, but I've used similar in the past,
the surface coating is the most important

Zane
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Zane »

Hi,

Here is one of my posts that gives a brief description of making a PCB using press n peel. I have had fairly good results with it but you do need some patience too. I hope this is of some help. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12650

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

I got this link on my email recently, seem to remember some good tips and tricks to getting good quality PCBs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/PCB-Etc ... ototyping/

Personally I gave up on home made PCBs a long time ago thanks to invisible microscopic opens on traces. Though recently I have seen some great home made boards that are certainly tempting me to have another go for simple designs. For anything complex I think it's just better for my time and sanity to get tried and tested PCBs from a good manufacturer. Though to be fair sometimes even these fail.

Docara

Post by Docara »

Hi Benj,

Thanks for the reply, yes the link you gave is the method I've used. As stated I found that using my laser printer does not give a good opaque print.

Going to try good quality tracing paper and / or inkjet with a pigmented black ink

Doc

PS how do you 'thank' someone on the forums?

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Doc,
Docara wrote:PS how do you 'thank' someone on the forums?
Did you see the reply here?
When you are logged on to the fourms, you should see a 'Thumbs up' icon next to the 'Quote' button at the top right of each post.
Just click on the thumbs up and that will thank the person for that post.

Martin
Martin

Docara

Post by Docara »

Ah thanks - I see it know I know where to look!!
On a phone screen it wasn't very clear