Olimex PIC-WEB REV.C board

For users of Matrix Multimedia Electronics software to discuss projects, circuits and any other electronics concepts.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Tom Stefanou

Olimex PIC-WEB REV.C board

Post by Tom Stefanou »

Hello guys!!!,
Would like to know if anyone has ever managed to make the Web server component work for this board.
If not, is it possible for the dev team to make the web server component a bit more independent?
I see that you have a selection between 2 boards when using the component.
Could someone do it or guide me on how to do it?
What i am trying to accomplish, is to ping an ip address and get the result, success or not on a variable.
Also have the option for DHCP to work.
Thank you all in advance!.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Olimex PIC-WEB REV.C board

Post by Benj »

Hello,

At the moment the webserver component is a bit large and cumbersome. It would be nice if we could add an internal ethernet stack that would allow us to do ethernet comms without the need of a dedicated module. Also as you say allowing other third party modules would be very handy.

We are currently working on the v6 webserver component so that it actually simulates and allows you to serve up webpages from the Flowcode application itself which should make the component much more useful. Maybe we can also add in some more features down the line like more modules and an internal TCPIP stack. I will look into this for you.

If the module your using uses I2C or SPI or another bus supported via Flowcode then it should just be a case of using that component and following the module's specification. This is basically all the webserver component is doing.

Tom Stefanou

Post by Tom Stefanou »

HI Benj,
Thank you for your reply,
from what i can underestand, looking at the schematic, this development board does not use a seperate module because of the mcu it comes with.
A pic 18F67J60. It seems it does the whole thing by using Microchip's TCP/IP stack and the PIC.
A modified version, as they say for their prototype.
Also could you make the tcp/ip component a bit more rookie friendly?
And i mean by that add, add for example direct ping functionality, mail sending, ntp server time resolution?
e.g one block where you call the component function ping with parameters ip/timeout in ms/hops/retries and would return a value with the result
You know basic stuff that could honestly make our life easier.
That way you can actually focus on the real application and not on the code at all.
I would be exremely happy to see the webserver / ip component work for this board as there are so many people using it.
If they knew they can operate it using flowcode, i bet they would go nuts.
You can already program it using flowcode so you are half way there.
I promise that if you add such functionality i will make a demo for every possible function of flowcode supporting the board.
Free of charge of course, as long as you guys make them work.
Thank you in advance.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Tom,

Some good idea's there, I will see what I can squeeze into the v6 components. I agree that the current components are more then a little daunting at the moment for a beginner or a pro.

I will have a play and see what is possible. Should be easy enough to add some macros to cover the key features. Not sure about the Microchip TCPIP stack as they have been more then a little precious over it's usage in the past but I will see how easy it would be to bring the code base across into Flowcode.

Be interesting to see how the microchip stack runs on an AVR or ARM.

Tom Stefanou

Post by Tom Stefanou »

Fingers crossed you will!!!
Thank you Benj!!!