V2 Pic dev board. Can I use parallel to usb cable?

For users of Matrix Multimedia Electronics software to discuss projects, circuits and any other electronics concepts.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

LTLFRARI

V2 Pic dev board. Can I use parallel to usb cable?

Post by LTLFRARI »

I have a v2 picmicro dev board that I used to use with my laptop. It has a parallel connection for connecting it to the pc and worked fine.
I now want to start using it with my desktop machine and using a usb connection would be more convenient although my machine does have a parallel connection if this will not work.

So, my question is this:
Instead of using a parallel cable, could I use a USB to parallel cable to hook it up to the pc. Would the latest ver of PPP support that configuration.

Thanks

Dave E

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: V2 Pic dev board. Can I use parallel to usb cable?

Post by Benj »

Hello Dave

Yes this would work in theory but you would still need the external 12V + to allow the PICmicro devices to be reprogrammed. Warning though some USB to Parrallel converters may be unsuitable as they may include extra functionality for printers etc. If your computer already has the parrallel connection then I would use that as it will certainly avoid a bit of messing around getting the USB working correctly.

LTLFRARI

Post by LTLFRARI »

Ok, thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.

LTLFRARI

Post by LTLFRARI »

Tried using a usb hub with a parallel port (bi directional) but did not work. doc for hub say it will support anything that supports the windows printing api but it cannot intercept anything manipulating the pins directly. So, upshot is it won't work I guess.

No prob, my pc has a parallel port. It's just more messing to crawl under the desk to plug thing in.!