RS232 transmission query

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

RS232 transmission query

Post by christoph »

Hi Benj or fellow forumites,
I am stuck on how to transmit DECIMAL via my RS232 link on the flowchart I have included below. I made the flowchart without any problem and used the leds simply to indicate in the simulation that I was getting the binary number selected by each input switch. I knew that the RS232 panel was simply indicating the BIT sent according to the switch operated but I thought it would ultimately be simple matter to change it to send the binary number. I have spent hours trying to do it - please could you advise as I am at a loss of how to do this.
The operation is to send any selection of 5 numbers between 1 and 255 inclusive and the first number entered via a switch selection locks out subsequent inputs. This operates with the RS232 receiver noted in my last posting.
Thanks
Chris
RS232 sender.fcf
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: RS232 transmission query

Post by DavidA »

Hello Christoph,

Firstly, this is a v4 program, unfortunately Flowcode v4 is out of support now, this occurred on Dec 2013, as such you would need to have either Flowcode v5 or v6 to be eligible for support.

That said, i have taken a look at your program and am confused as to exactly what you want to do... if you want the data you send via rs232 to be the numbers you are outputting to the LEDs a simple calculation icon for each decision would be the best method.

--------------- input
17-> PORTA
-------------- calculation
data0 = 17
--------------

Additionally for readability i personally would use a switch icon on data0 rather than 5 separate decision icons.

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply.
I understand the V4 situation but I usually get help from other V4 parties, but in my previous post Benj happened to answer so this was a follow up as he answered my receiver posting. I have been out and just picked this up so am looking at what you have suggested but to clarify - my hardware is a radio link for sending number 0 meaning no action at receiver PIC output port in binary ie all 0's and various actions for all the numbers from 1 to 255 INCLUSIVE and giving all 1's at 255 is important, as it is a specific requirement for a proprietry chip input that follows.
I need an hour or so to look at this cos I am continually being interrupted unfortunately but would really appreciate it if youcould keep an 'eye open' for my follow up - just in case!!

Many thanks
Chris

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi David,
That is a much better way of doing it than 'decision' - and I have been trying to use it to do what I need to but still not ''getting it'. All I need is for each switch being allocated a dedicated (but re-programmable) number to send to the receiver when selected 'ON'. Only one switch operates at any one time. I am not using the LEDs at all now.
Would be really grateful if you could just point me in the right direction with the above in mind.
Regards,
Chris

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

Hi all,
Can anyone help on this as I still cant seem to get it to do what I need?!
Chris

christoph
Flowcode V4 User

Post by christoph »

It's ok - no worries - have sorted it all out now!
Cheers