Pic24 / dsPic & Pickit2 or Pickit3

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Gypo

Pic24 / dsPic & Pickit2 or Pickit3

Post by Gypo »

Hi Guys.

I have been trying my Microchip Explorer 16 board with Flowcode and a Pickit2 (and a Pickit3) so had to try and get the Compiler Options configured for them but I have not had any luck.
I've searched the forum and not found the settings.
I have tried a bit of DIY too based on the configs for Flowcode 4 for the PIC but again not got anywhere.

Anyone know of the settings? Know of a link to the page(s)??
As I said I have Pickit2 & Pickit3 obviously Pickit3 config would be best as it's useable with a greater range of chips, but I'd be grateful for any help.

Many Thanks
Gypo
The only real simulation isn't ...
Gypo

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pic24 / dsPic & Pickit2 or Pickit3

Post by kersing »

Gypo wrote:Compiler Options configured for them but I have not had any luck.
You need to set the programmer options. Compiler settings should be the same.
Gypo wrote:I've searched the forum and not found the settings.
Strange as I found messages concerning the subject no problem.
Check these PICkit 2 and PICkit 3. Should work for FC4 when you adapt the paths. Make sure the PICkit3 is set for MPLAB 8 mode, not MPLAB X. (See these messages about settings/firmware for PICkit3)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Gypo

Post by Gypo »

Thanks for these links I'll give them a try,

It looks these are in the Flowcode 5 part of the forum possibly the reason I couldn't find them in the V4 part of the forum.

Thanks again.... Fingers crossed...
Gypo

Gypo

Post by Gypo »

Hi Guys...

Tried the Pickit2 setting but no joy...

Obviously I had to make some changes to the path to allow for the fact that I use Flowcode 4 (I'm using 64bit Windows 7 too).

Settings I have now....

Location: = C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Parameters: = -cs 2 -chip PIC%p -config

This is a cut down of what is shown when I try and compile and program the chip (It compiles OK without any errors).
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Launching the linker/assembler...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\MX_bats\pic16_C30_link.bat -BC:\Program Files (x86)\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\PICkit2\ -PPIC24FJ64GA010 -FFlowcode1.hex -M -A5 -R

C:\Users\CWT\Desktop\PIC24_Exp16 FC>pic30-gcc -Wl,-BC:\Program.o,-L"C:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~2\Tools\MX_bats\..\C_tools\lib",--heap=256,--report-mem,--script="C:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~2\Tools\MX_bats\..\C_tools\Support\(x86)\Flowcode\gld\pFiles.gld",-o-BC:\Program.cof
pic30-coff-cpp.exe: C:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~2\Tools\MX_bats\..\C_tools\Support\(x86)\Flowcode\gld\pFiles.gld: No such file or directory
pic30-coff-cpp.exe: warning: '-x c' after last input file has no effect
pic30-coff-cpp.exe: no input files
c:\progra~2\matrix~1\flowco~2\tools\c_tools\bin\bin\..\bin/pic30-coff-ld.exe: unrecognized option '-BC:\Program.o'
c:\progra~2\matrix~1\flowco~2\tools\c_tools\bin\bin\..\bin/pic30-coff-ld.exe: use the --help option for usage information

Error returned from [pic30-gcc.exe]

Return code = 1

Flowcode was unable to assemble the ASM file due to the following errors:

FINISHED
**********************************************************************************************************************************
The red bit is right that directory doesn't exist but I don't know where it comes from or how to correct it...
This is where the directory really is;-
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\C_tools\support\PIC24F\gld

Gypo
Gypo

Gypo

Post by Gypo »

Benj / Anyone

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is anyone using a PICKIT2 or 3 with Flowcode 4 PIC24/dsPic and windows 7 ..... If so please, please, please let me know the settings I need......

Benj
I know you will be able to answer this one, so please can you help?

I still have the same problem, I have reinstalled the program selecting PICKIT2 as the programmer but it still complains about a directory missing, I can't work out what to change to make it work. Can you please help?

I was going to try and move to PIC24 & 32's but until I get this working I'm stumped...

Regards
Gypo
Gypo

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Gypo wrote: This is a cut down of what is shown when I try and compile and program the chip (It compiles OK without any errors).
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Code: Select all

Launching the linker/assembler...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\MX_bats\pic16_C30_link.bat -BC:\Program Files (x86)\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\PICkit2\ -PPIC24FJ64GA010 -FFlowcode1.hex -M -A5 -R

C:\Users\CWT\Desktop\PIC24_Exp16 FC>pic30-gcc -Wl,-BC:\Program.o,-L"C:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~2\Tools\MX_bats\..\C_tools\lib",--heap=256,--report-mem,--script="C:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~2\Tools\MX_bats\..\C_tools\Support\(x86)\Flowcode\gld\pFiles.gld",-o-BC:\Program.cof 
pic30-coff-cpp.exe: C:\PROGRA~2\MATRIX~1\FLOWCO~2\Tools\MX_bats\..\C_tools\Support\(x86)\Flowcode\gld\pFiles.gld: No such file or directory
pic30-coff-cpp.exe: warning: '-x c' after last input file has no effect
pic30-coff-cpp.exe: no input files
c:\progra~2\matrix~1\flowco~2\tools\c_tools\bin\bin\..\bin/pic30-coff-ld.exe: unrecognized option '-BC:\Program.o'
c:\progra~2\matrix~1\flowco~2\tools\c_tools\bin\bin\..\bin/pic30-coff-ld.exe: use the --help option for usage information
This error is not related to the PICkit programmer. You need to take a look at the Linker settings (in compiler options), make sure the Linker/Assembler settings are:
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\MX_bats\pic16_C30_link.bat
Parameters: "%f" %T %y
(Include the quotes)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Gypo

Post by Gypo »

kersing

Big thanks mate.

For some reason the program had something totally different in the Parameters part of the Linker / Assembler settings even though I had removed and installed the program again.

I changed it to your suggestion and it built the HEX file without problems.
I had a problem with the programmer side of things after that (voltage setting) sorted that out and all is working great now.

For those in the same position as myself I thought I'd share what works for me....
I am running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate with Pickit2 and the Professional Version of Flowcode Pic24/dsPic V4.4.13.69

These are the settings that work for me in the compiler Options window;
________________________________________________________________________________
Compiler:
Location: = C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\MX_bats\pic16_C30_comp.bat
Parameters: = "%f" "%D" %T
________________________________________________________________________________
Linker / Assembler:
Location: = C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\MX_bats\pic16_C30_link.bat
Parameters: = "%f" %T %y
Programmer:
Location: = C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\PICkit2\pk2cmd.exe
Parameters: = -BC:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\PICkit2\ -PPIC%p -F%f.hex -M -A3 -R

Use external program to set configuration options = Ticked

Location: = C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode PIC24&dsPIC V4\Tools\PPP\PPPv3.exe
Parameters: = -cs 2 -chip PIC%p -config

The text coloured red needs to be changed for the correct voltage of the chip you are using.
Gypo