Please Help ....

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

iain wilkie

Please Help ....

Post by iain wilkie »

I have just returned to a project done a few years ago in Flowcode V4.3.6.61 only to find the compiler doesn't compile most of the time !!
It seems nothing to do with my code but with Flowcode V4 itself, as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't ... without changing anything !!!
I need to exit and re-start Flowcode until I get it to work ok !
I'm running WIN7 64 bit and when things go wrong I get this ....

File name: C:\Users\IAIN\Documents\Flowcodex\Octopus.c
Generated by: Flowcode v4.3.6.61
Date: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 08:55:58
Licence: Professional
Registered to: Wilkie Electronics

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com

Launching the compiler...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode AVR V4\Tools\MX_bats\avra.bat attiny26 "C:\Users\IAIN\DOCUME~1\Flowcodex\Octopus.elf" "C:\Users\IAIN\DOCUME~1\Flowcodex\Octopus.c" "C:\Users\IAIN\DOCUME~1\Flowcodex\Octopus.lst"

Return code = 1

Flowcode was unable to compile the flowchart's C code due to the following errors:

If your flowchart contains C code, please review this carefully. If your flowchart contains no C-code or you have thoroughly reviewed the code, contact Technical Support.

FINISHED

I realise V4 is no longer supported, but if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated !!

Iain Wilkie

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Please Help ....

Post by Benj »

Hello Iain,

If you haven't already done it then maybe a restart is in order, after approx 20 days of running BoostC is unable to compile due to a rollover in the licensing system variable.

iain wilkie

Post by iain wilkie »

Hi Benj,

Thanks for replying so quickly, what do you mean by "restart" ?

I have noticed that if I take the file and place it in a folder that is in a "long path" eg c:/folder/folder/folder/folder it seems to be ok but then only for a while. Its very intermittent and obviously nothing to do with the file itself.

Another possible clue here is we have just cloned over onto a new SSD drive from an old (non-SSD) drive .....

Any help appreciated !!!

Regards

Iain

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thanks for replying so quickly, what do you mean by "restart" ?
Sorry I meant Restart Windows :D

What version of Windows are you running? I know older versions may struggle with SSDs without a lot of updates and tweaking (XP, Vista).

iain wilkie

Post by iain wilkie »

Hi Benj,

Ok ... Windows restart done may times ....

I am using WIN7 64 bit but also tried it on WIN10 64 bit but still same problem.

However since I put the file in a long directory path c:\flowcode\flowcode\flowcode\flowcode\flowcode\xxxxxx it now works everytime. Shorten the
directory path and I get the problem .... lengthen it again and its ok !!!! quite repeatable, long path certainly cures it !!!!

Anyway quite happy to work with it like that so thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Iain

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Iain,

Glad you have found a workaround, although it does sound like a very strange problem.

Just to check, does saving the file is a directory like "c:\flowcode\xxx.fcf" work also? If so, then I believe the problem could be related to the 8.3 short filenames being missing from your hard drive.

Regards,
Steve.

iain wilkie

Post by iain wilkie »

Hi Steve,

No it doesn't !!! This only happens with PC's with SSD's !!! Seems like some kind or "race" problem. i.e with SSD the access of files is much quicker and this seems to cause the problem.
Just to also back this theory further, I also note that as these PC's boot up much much faster things like connected USB devices (my wifi dongle for instance) does not enumerate sometimes and I need to unplug/replug it. This ONLY after updating to SSD !

Cheers

Iain

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

There was an interesting post here relating to misread files on SSD ...
http://www.matrixtsl.com/mmforums/viewt ... ssd#p90876

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the info, Iain.