Glcd basic needs

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Bobw

Glcd basic needs

Post by Bobw »

I am designing a new project, and would like to use a Glcd for the display.
I do not need something real high end, The meter that the Glcd will replace measures 3 1/4" X 1 1/2"
While I can cur the opening larger if need be.

1) What do I look for in just the basic display?
2) Do I need a separate processor just for the display?
3) Is the a series 16 or 18xxx pic that would handle it all?

Right now I need 7 input pins for switches, and 3 outputs for relays, and leds.
Will also need what ever I/O pins that the Glcd would require.

Bob

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Glcd basic needs

Post by Benj »

Hello Bob,
1) What do I look for in just the basic display?
Really depends on what you need, eg colour or monochrome, pixel resolution, size of pixels and most importantly the interface to the microcontroller.
2) Do I need a separate processor just for the display?
No you should be able to control the display and your application using a single microcontroller.
3) Is the a series 16 or 18xxx pic that would handle it all?
Either would be fine for the application though the 18F range generally have more memory and some can run up to 48MHz (12MIPs).

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

Ben,
Thanks.
Will have to look around and see what I can find for a display. I have a couple spare 16F1827 chips but think I may need a few more IO pins unless I multiplex a few of the switch inputs. Just waiting for the codes for my FC 5.0 upgrade as we speak. Will document this one better than my last so I can put it in the projects section of the forum.

Bob

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hey Bob,

the process should be near instant so if you are having trouble or they not arrived yet PM me with the email address you used and ill sort you out.

Bobw

Post by Bobw »

David,
Thanks. I contacted Microcontroller shop by phone today, they said I should have my download link and activation code by morning my time in the states.
I can wait, still in the planning stages, and need to get some electronic parts still. Would like to try and source them all from Mouser again. I did find one glcd with a RGB background I like but it was 3 volt and a serial. Parallel is easier I think.
Did manage to get the simulator to print some text, will try for a circle tomorrow. Think I will need some graph paper to help figure out the coordinates first.

Bob