Adding of other peripherals to MIAC

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Markro

Adding of other peripherals to MIAC

Post by Markro »

Is this possible at all ?

Or would this require a separate external design ? ( As I write this the word retorical is whizzing around my mind )

My imeditate thoughts are for usage of say a programmable resistor to present a varaible signal load to a controller ?

I like the MIAC as it has a professional package and user interface ( Although I wish the display had more lines ) , but sometimes wish it had some other output interfaces like the one above, but where would it stop I guess. I just wanted to avoid daisy chaining external blocks of hardware together and have everything in 1 nice package.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Adding of other peripherals to MIAC

Post by Benj »

Hello,

We are currently developing a range of MIAC expansion units using the CAN connection which work with Flowcode seamlessly as if they were connected to the MIAC.

So to answer your question yes this is possible. For now you could use a E-blocks CAN system to add other E-block devices. There is also a CAN development board on the 001tech website which would be compatible and has available ports but this requires a PICkit programmer.

Markro

Post by Markro »

I did not want to use CAN as this interface would already be spoken for in some cases, and one should never underestimate the trouble that can be caused on a CAN bus.

I was thinking more the SPI / I2C type interfaces as these are standardised with IC producers - That said I am unsure as yet how short these connections need to be.

I guess I was thinking more like a expansion port on the MIAC, mechanically it could be challenging to make it look like it just was part of the MIAC itself. But as these are CAN based there is no plan to change the MIAC itself I guess.

What about USB for external expansions..... ?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

One of the expansions exposes protocols such as SPI, I2C and 1-wire.

The USB connection cannot really be used for expansion purposes.

petesmart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by petesmart »

thats great Steve,

I2C on MIAC would be very helpful...

any view as to the timing?

best

pete
sorry about that Chief!

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

A lot of the development work is actually done. But we don't have a release date yet.