MIAC-MODBUS

For MIAC users to discuss projects, applications, and any other issues related to the MIAC unit.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

pantelisthrylos7

MIAC-MODBUS

Post by pantelisthrylos7 »

Hello,
I'd like to have a touch panel (from Weintek) to be in a MIAC system I am preparing for trending and proccess monitoring on a vessel.
I need a modbus slave component in FC6, thus having the HMI as a master modbus.
Are you planning to have a slave modbus component to a feature release?
Do you have any other idea of connecting the HMI to MIAC system?

Thanks

Pantelis

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: MIAC-MODBUS

Post by LeighM »

Hi Pantelis
We only have a Modbus master component at the moment, using RS232/RS485.
We hope to expand our range in the future but don’t have the resources just at present.
What interfaces does your HMI device support?
Regards
Leigh

pantelisthrylos7

Hi LeighM,
The weintek HMI MT8000 XE series HMI panels have isolated RS485 port and support TCP/IP Modbus. Since I have not used TCP/IP Modbus till now I am not very
familiar with it.
I know the latest FC6 patch has this communication component available. Should there any difficulty to implement a link by this protocol and/or is any trick I should know?

Thanks very much for your reply.
Guys keep up the good work. FC is a start of a unique fascinating new programming world.

Pantelis

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Pantelis

Thanks for your comments, and it sounds like an interesting project you have there.

Are you just using a MIAC or do you have other MIAC Expansion modules as well?
We usually refer to a “MIAC System” as being a MIAC connected via CAN to one or more Expansion modules or MIAC CAN Slaves.

The Industrial Expansion Module has an RS485 interface, and the Serial Expansion Module has an RS232 interface.
So these modules can connect via CAN to the MIAC and provide the serial interface to devices such as your HMI device.

In this configuration the Flowcode Expansion Module components take care of the CAN communications between them and the MIAC.
However, this is true for Flowcode version 5, but as yet we do not have ready-made component support for the MIAC System in version 6.

In version 6 the MIAC System project can be selected and doing that gets the code included to drive the CAN hardware in “MIAC System” mode.
That way C code functions can be called to help with communication with an Expansion Module.

There is a document on our web site that explains the format of the CAN communications:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/resourc ... ations.pdf

If going that route sounds too complicated, then if you want to give me more details about your system hardware. It could be that creating a simple Flowcode V6 component wrapper for the RS485 send and receive functions of the Industrial Expansion module will give you what you need. Which I can help with, until such a time that we have full V6 support.

Regards,
Leigh

pantelisthrylos7

Hi again and sorry for my late reply,
I am on the way most of the time (around the globe) and sometimes it's hard to reply on time. So I am having a project of about 60-85 I/Os
There are approx. 25-30 of them which are analog signals. Pressures, temperatures, tacho pickup sensors etc. Most of them are 0-10V and 4-20 mA standard industrial signals. The system is using pressure and temp transmitters so the signal conditioning is done by them.
Yes it would be very helpful if FC6 had the expansion modules support as I need definitely basic, industrial, serial and bluetooth modules.
I am examining the chance to use the Eblocks VGA multimedia board and/or some of the 4D systems products such as gLCD display board.
Another nice idea would be the bluetooth module to link 1-2 android tablets. I already try to have as much info as possible to build some apps in android. By the way if you got mess with android which is the quickest way to tackle to?

In short the job can be done without any additional display or HMI but I want to deliver something more professional and more enjoyable than the 4 lines LCD display of the MIAC. For the present project one MIAC and some expansions will do the job.
If you think that purchasing the FC5 PIC version will be more off the shelf solution please let me know. I could have even an ARM controller and some e-blocks or custom made pcb (Iam quite long time in pcb design than in PLC) IF I had more time in my disposal but time is not enough for that.

Another question is: Could it be possible to use FC6 system board or dashboard to act as a simulating HMI and/or alarm panel. It sounds crazy but I want your opinion. Imaging the potential of a possibility to achieve this. I know quite well the software and hardware of the automation industry and the products they offer.

Regards

Pantelis

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Pantelis,

Thanks for the further information.
A Bluetooth link is a good idea, we have done Android connected demonstrations with MIAC in the past.
It’s a while since I have looked at Android, it’s a fast moving platform, but there are plenty of tools out there to support it.
Another question is: Could it be possible to use FC6 system board or dashboard to act as a simulating HMI and/or alarm panel. It sounds crazy but I want your opinion. Imaging the potential of a possibility to achieve this
Flowcode V6 has huge potential for doing just that.
For example, in simulation mode the UART component connects to the host PC serial ports, so you can easily use it to front end a control system.
Regards,
Leigh

pantelisthrylos7

I am going to try some ideas and I will come again on that

Regards