ECIO Active Monitor

Tips, Tricks and methods for programming, learn ways of making your programming life easier, and share your knowledge with others.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

goldwingers

ECIO Active Monitor

Post by goldwingers »

Having got fed up looking at hyperterms limited output. I took up writing a monitoring program for the ECIO. Now the development of an active ECIO-40 port monitor written in VB is close to completion.

The monitor offers the following of the ECIO-40(at this time)
Digital output of all channels
Analog outputs for all channels An0 - An12 (synchronous)

The system monitors the ECIO ports, offering full monitoring of digital and analog inputs of the ECIO-40 as indcated by switches and/or LED's. The analog inputs are indicated by scaled bars (0-300)and are all selectable at run time.

Operation
The monitor after being opened, is started by using a menu system, When the connect item is clicked, the system checks all the system com ports and selects the com port which the ECIO is attached. If the software drivers arenot installed for the port the matrix multimedia software opens up and installs the drivers for you.

To save on system resources the system has been developed to limit the resources needed from the PC. The monitor sits in standby mode until a check box is ticked, this then asks the ECIO to send only that particular data sequence. The operation is carried out in virtual real time +-10mS for each instruction).

The system operates via a macro and predetermined variable for each output within the FCF file, this does all the hard work on the ECIO. The output from the ECIO is encoded in Hex and the software converts these Hex number to a usable integer.

Ian.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: ECIO Active Monitor

Post by Benj »

Hello Ian,

Sounds like a great project you have there, Im eagerly awaiting the release. :)

goldwingers

Re: ECIO Active Monitor

Post by goldwingers »

Hi beng
This project I am working on is to compliment the E-Blocks hardware and the ECIO system, generally we can all see what goes on but to investigate communications and graphical representation side is far more interesting. If only I could upload a picture or two - OK how do we do that.

I have since my last upload added arudimentary set of temperatue bars for all the analog inputs, this has been set to -40 +100 deg C with the potentiometer on the analog board, each ports channels are opened in seperate windows with a(-10 - 0 - +10) offset on each channel via an inbuilt dial control. The inclusion of the temperature guages allows the unit to monitor the port ascii value and a nominal temp scale at the same time. I am also looking to add a voltage guage which will be selectable to any port etc.

Ian[img][/ecio panel.jpeg]
Attachments
temp form.JPG
temp form.JPG (31.15 KiB) Viewed 4366 times
ecio panel.jpg
ecio panel.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 4366 times