Basic 8 Channel RC5 Infrared Remote Control

Tips, Tricks and methods for programming, learn ways of making your programming life easier, and share your knowledge with others.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

ssears

Re: Basic 8 Channel RC5 Infrared Remote Control

Post by ssears »

Martin,

Thank you very much for your response! The information that you have supplied is more than enough to get me started.
Thanks again for your time.

Steve

ssears

Post by ssears »

Martin,

Thank you very much for your help; I have built the circuit to use your provided “RC5 Basic 8 Channel Remote Controller .fcf” file. And I’m having a little trouble getting it to work. Attached is a schematic that I have built using a 16F877a devise, will you take a look at it and let me know if it looks like it would work with your program. I just used LEDs instead of using the relay board. I have tried both a 4 and 20MHz external Oscillator and adjusted clock speed to match in both instances. One question I do have is that the flie you provided has the “Receive Pin” set to C.7 and you made reference to pin A2 in your original post. Was the A2 reference for the 16F877a device or was it for something else?
Also I plan to have scope next week so I will be able to check and see if the IR Receiver is actually outputting a signal or not.
Thanks again for your help.

Steve
RC5 TEST SCHEMATIC.png
(337.81 KiB) Downloaded 5209 times

bercioiu

Post by bercioiu »

I think you forgot to put a pull-up resistor (10k) on the data pin of the TSOP.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Steve,
I don't know how much this will affect your circuit, but the IR sensor I used that's within Eblock is a TSOP1236 which has a carrier frequency of 36KHz which will match RC5 remote control carrier frequency of 36KHz.
You're using a TSOP4838 which has a carrier frequency of 38KHz so their is going to be rejection of frequencies above and below the carrier frequency.
So basically the 36KHz remote will be trying to trigger a 38KHz receiver.
I think you have the best idea of scoping the output, then you can see if you will be getting enough amplitude of the demodulated pulse to trigger detection within microcontroller.
Also have you got 100nF decoupling caps across the supply pins of microcontroller?
What value is your MCLR pull-up resistor,10K?
After scoping we could take another visit.
Can you post the flowchart since it's been altered and I can take a look at it for good measure.
I would also consider moving the LED's connected to port RB6 and RB7 as the programmer will be trying to power LED's as well as programming microcontroller, and there maybe too much current drawn from programmer?
Unless you're using EB006 programmer, then RB6 and RB7 at the Dtype plugs are automatically isolated during programming.

Martin
Martin

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Martin!

I have tested your fine program and it works perfect. :D Is it very difficult to extend it with 8 channels more.
I have tried but without success. For example, entire port C will work the same way, if I have pressed some other command first to enable port C. but still as zero turns off all output (very smart). I use an old Philips TV remote control :roll:

Best regard

Jorgen

DELAK_ALED

Post by DELAK_ALED »

Hi,
I have download the test routine RC5_TX_RX_1.hex with the program PPP in a 16F877A µC (EB006 Board - LCD(EB005) on portD and IRboard (EB060) on portC).
This works fine.

I have tried to download the program RC5 Basic 8 Channel Remote Controller _V6.fcfx in a 16F877A µcontroller with flowcodeV6.
(EB006 Board - EB060 IR board on portA - EB004 LED board on portB)
Never a led lights up.
Attachments
RC5 Basic 8 Channel Remote Controller_v6.fcfx
(6.89 KiB) Downloaded 618 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi DELAK_ALED,
I have tested RC5 Basic 8 Channel Remote Controller_v6.fcfx you posted on my Eb006 and all is working as expected.
Have you got the jumper in A on the RC5?
Martin

DELAK_ALED

Post by DELAK_ALED »

Thank you Martin for your reply. With the jumper in A on the RC5 everything works fine.
I have also tested the program with a little 16F88 and also with this µC everything works fine.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Glad its working for you.
I have added about the jumper on the initial post.
Thanks for letting us know. :)

Was thinking about adding a learn command, so you have programmable keys and 16 channels.
Not sure how popular it would be?
Martin

DELAK_ALED

Post by DELAK_ALED »

I'm already very curious

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Martin

You wrote:

Was thinking about adding a learn command, so you have programmable keys and 16 channels.
Not sure how popular it would be?

I promise you, you Will be very popular, very god idea.

Best regard

Jorgen