Flowcode 4 - I'm I missing something?

Forum for problems or queries regarding the Flowcode application and compiler usage.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

canipus

Flowcode 4 - I'm I missing something?

Post by canipus »

Um is it just me or are there some things left out of the component properties interface?

How do you add label descriptions to the switches and LEDs? E.g open up a switch bank and try and label each of the switches. There is no label option in the properties page. Same problem with the LEDs.
Also has the option to move the components up or down the toolbar on the Toolbox been left out? If not how do you re-arrange the icons in the toolbox? I'm stumped.
Someone else has also asked the question how you rename a switch once you have opened it on the Panel - but so far no one has answered and I'm also wondering.

I would have posted this in the Flowcode 4 section but my browser is not showing a "New Topic" button in there?

Anyone confirm whether I'm missing something on above issues?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Flowcode 4 - I'm I missing something?

Post by Benj »

Hello Canipus
How do you add label descriptions to the switches and LEDs?
It was decided to remove these labels because there is a text item that can be added to the panel. This is a little bit more difficult to get right but it does mean a much greater degree of flexibility on your panels.
the option to move the components up or down the toolbar on the Toolbox been left out
The toolbar is going to be changing significantly in the near future. For now you can detach the toolbar and shrink it to allow for all the components to be displayed on your screen.
how you rename a switch once you have opened it on the Panel
This is not current allowed. If it is required or wanted as an option then let us know. After all its the customers that drive the product forward.
I would have posted this in the Flowcode 4 section but my browser is not showing a "New Topic" button in there?
We are changing the way support works for V4. To get support you will have to have a registered version of Flowcode and then click the "online resources" item in the help menu of V4. This will take you to a basic form that will confirm your key and entitle you to use the V4 section of the forum. We have had to do this as more and more people are starting to hack Flowcode and we simply cannot give technical support to users who have not even purchased the software. I have not made this mandatory yet as V4 is still in the early stages but this will be coming soon. The signup procedure for the V4 forum is now functional so if you have a registered copy then feel free to sign up.

canipus

Post by canipus »

Ben

Thanks for clearing this up. Everything you say makes sense but I guess I'm still wondering how you know which switch or LED is which before you apply the text option in the panel. If you have a bank or row of 8 LEDs with no designation such as A0....A7 or L0...L7 how do you know which way round they are. Is the one on the left the lowest virtual component in the series or the other end? Or are you saying that any text label entry you add in the panel becomes incorporated into the edit window for the connection dialog.

OK I've just played with this a little more and it appears that when a row of switches or LEDs are opened on the panel the one on the extreme right is always the lowest number in terms of setting up connection to the PIC port UNLESS the Properties direction is reversed. However, When trying to reverse the switch bank in the properties it doesn't actually stay reversed as soon as you click Apply > OK and exit the properties dialog. If you go back to the Properties page you will see it has reverted to 'Default'. Surely that's a bug?
At least now I understand that by default the lowest number switch / LED in the row is the one on the right so I guess from that point of view annotating the switches with a label becomes redundant - in terms of connection identification. Strange about the switches reverse option not sticking though!

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sean »

The SwitchBank direction fault was caused by a bug in the component code that has now been fixed. An update should be available soon.
There are becomming aware of a number of new features that are causing problems until they are explained properly (switch and led labels, custom images etc.). We hope to be able to resolve this issue with improved documentation.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I think we'll probably resurrect the labels on LED and Switch banks as this features seems to be very useful to our existing customers.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

steve wrote:I think we'll probably resurrect the labels on LED and Switch banks as this features seems to be very useful to our existing customers.
I fully agree. I miss the switches, LEDs and pot labels.
Martin