Memory locations for PIC16F877a

Any general or miscellaneous queries that do not fit into the other forum catagories

Moderators: Benj, Mods

billbrow41

Memory locations for PIC16F877a

Post by billbrow41 »

Hello,

I am trying to write a program to save command information read from a radio control car into the PIC and save to memory for re-creation later and am unsure as how to address the memory. I have attempted to embed a C Code Array into the flowcode but when compiling all the operands are rejected? The purpose is to save the commands for a specific route and then get the car to follow same route on it's own.

Any assistance on how to save this data into memory, whether arrays or other means, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Billy

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Memory locations for PIC16F877a

Post by Sean »

Hello Billy,

There are several ways to store arrays of data from Flowcode. A Flowcode string variable is an array and can be accessed as an array directly from Flowcode using the calculation block instead of the string functions.

As an example, The 7th byte of a string variable 'myStr' can be accessed from a calculation block as myStr[6] = 54, or myByte = myStr[6].
The default string size of 20 characters can be changed when the variable is declared.

An alternative is to use the internal EEPROM. There are 256 bytes available in the 16F877A and a Flowcode component to access them. This EEPROM also has the possible advantage that the data will not be lost when power is removed, but is relatively slow to write to.

The Flowcode access functions for arrays and EEPROM can only handle 'byte' (8-bit) values so any larger data types will need to be split into bytes and written individually, and re-combind when read.

billbrow41

Re: Memory locations for PIC16F877a

Post by billbrow41 »

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the help there, you've been greatly helpful. We'll probably use the EEPROM method you spoke of as i don't believe the string will be large enough. 256 Bytes should be grand though.

Many Thanks

Billy