Supported PIC CPU - Port C Popularity

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

dbasnett

Supported PIC CPU - Port C Popularity

Post by dbasnett »

After looking at many of the e-block circuit boards I realized that many of them want to use Port C? I assume that this is because of the built-in UART?

Assuming that is true I thought having a PIC with 2 UARTS would be a good idea. Using the Microchip search tool I found many, but of those none seemed to be supported for the EB006?

Am I missing something? For example is it possible to use the internet board and the gps board together?

These chips would seem to fit the bill:
PIC18F43K22
PIC18F44K22
PIC18F45K22
PIC18F46K22

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: Supported PIC CPU - Port C Popularity

Post by DavidA »

Hello,

You have stumbled across an issue we have been having with the PPP programming tool which we use, the 18F**K22 boards we have are working on a fix for these boards at the moment, you can however program these boards through the EB006 via a PICKIT2 if you have one.

The internet board we have uses I2C so it isnt necessary to have 2+ UARTs, allowing you a lot more freedom in chip choice. If you are determined on 2 UARTs, the following chips can be programmed in the EB006 have 2UARTs according to microchip:

16F1946
16F1947
18F65J10
18F65J15
18F8722
18F6722
18F8627

plus many others!

Edit: My mistake, just rechecked this and these are only available in 64 or 80 pin surface-mount packages, seems the 18F**K22 's are the only chips appropriate.

dbasnett

Post by dbasnett »

The chips I looked at all seem to have the I2C interface and the UART on the same port. I must be missing something.

Just received my EBX100!! :)

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi
It can sometimes be a problem when you find the connections of 2 E-blocks are on the same port of the device.(As you say often to Port C)
That is where the patch system comes in.
You can often connect both boards with the splitter ribbon cable and then move the connections to different pins (OK you cannot always do this)

For example ,my thermopile project posted yesterday uses the I2C bus and the gLCD
For this I took the easiest option connecting the gLCD to PortC and the I2C sensor to Port D, this was then configured as a software I2C
Nor sure if they could both go in port c, but it works fine in this configuration.

It can often be a case of looking at datasheets and a bit of head scratching for a while as to where you will connect things. If not ask for help on here, you will normally get a reply fairly quickly.

Hope you get on with the new hardware, I'm sure you wont regret buying into this system.

These sites originally posted by Martin may help you chose a suitable PIC

http://www.microchip.com/productselecto ... ector.html

http://www.microchip.com/maps/microcontroller.aspx
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

yannboyer

Post by yannboyer »

Any new solution to be able to programm a pic18f46k22 with eb006 and flowcode v5?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

No sorry there is no plan to support these devices. I have tried on multiple occasions to push this through but there is always something else that has a bigger priority. We are working on a dsPIC ECIO which has lots of peripherals and they are remappable so you can assign them to pretty much any pin you like. Unfortunately for the time being this has also been put on hold.