Arm EB031 not communicating

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

JFinlayson

Arm EB031 not communicating

Post by JFinlayson »

I have an EB031 not used for some time connected to computer and nothing happened nothing showing up in device manager on windows 10.
Reset bootloader with jumper on EB031 setting jumper to TST. EB031 now comes up as Bossa program Port, but SAM-BA v2.7 reports no valid device ID and closes.

Any ID how to fix this
The older the boy the bigger the toy

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Arm EB031 not communicating

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The EB031 is only active for a very short period and has a HID based bootloader so it might be working fine and appearing and dissappearing very quickly.

Please setup the jumpers as follows...

All jumpers should connect horizontally - apart from the TST jumper.
Power Selection - USB
Programming Pin Select - USB
TST - Default position - top

If you open device manager and look at the Human Interface Devices section, count how many devices are there.

The press the reset button on the EB031 and another device should appear for a few seconds, this should confirm that things are working correctly.

You can also try running the mLoader software, press the reset button and this will hold the EB031 in bootloader mode.

Or simply press the reset button when prompted by Flowcode during the compile to chip process.

JFinlayson

Post by JFinlayson »

Hi Benj
Jumpers are set as in your post. plug in board to USB cable and nothing changes under HID( not even for a short time) in device manager. but under ports there appears AT91 USB to serial converter. If I uninstall this device and unplug USB cable and re-plug USB cable, I the get under COM in device manager Bossa Program Port. (But nothing changes under Human interface Devices). Uninstalling this driver and removing the software for it and it still comes back as Bossa program Port.

Regards

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It sounds like the bootloader on the device may have been lost and reset back to the factory default.

Instructions to recover the Matrix bootloader are available here.
EB031-Bootloader.zip
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 280 times
You used to need a 32-bit machine but there may now be a 64-bit driver available.

JFinlayson

Post by JFinlayson »

OK followed the instructions, and tried on 2 computers, with the following results
Computer 1 plug in board and it comes up with serial coms port and changes to Bossa program Port (COM3) and SAM-BA fails with No valid processor ID.
Computer 2 plug in board and it comes up with serial port with yellow flag, unplugging board and reconnecting it comes up with Bossa Program Port (COM3)

Strange
SAM-BA sees the port and tries to communicate, but does not receive a valid processor ID or getting no reply. I have tried deleting this Bossa driver and removing the device driver and software associated with it but it still comes back as soon as you plug in the board. maybe its a windows 10 thing?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Are both of your machines 64-bit? From our experience the Atmel SAM-BA functionality only works on 32-bit machines but things could have changed.

SAM-BA should be packaged with a USB driver you can use to override the Bossa driver. I have a memory that the USB driver might have been unsigned and so won't work on a Windows 10 machine without jumping through a lot of hoops. Again things might have changed.

Might be worth trying the latest SAM-BA software from here, there is also a USB driver listed which fingers crossed is signed and 64-bit compatible.
https://www.microchip.com/developmentto ... programmer

JFinlayson

Post by JFinlayson »

Both machines are 64bit. after several hours trying different things this is what worked for me. uninstalled SAM-BA 2.4 and installed the latest version from Microchip version SAM-BAv2.18 also downloaded there signed driver. Windows 10 does not like to keep the driver but forced it to by going to update the boscom driver selecting browse my computer for driver software then selecting let me pick from a list of available drivers, then select have disc and navigate to the location where you stored the driver from Microchip.
After this run SAM-BA v2.18 and select the com port associated with the new driver under ports in device manager and follow instructions to download bootloader.bin

System then would not work until I unpluged board and reconnected and then pressed reset button on the EB31. loaded Mloader and eventually it connected and now programs via Flowcode 7.

Hopefully it will keep working

Thanks for all the help. :D

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Excellent glad you got it working and many thanks for documenting your fix. Certainly well done for managing with a 64-bit machine, I've never been able to get this to work so looks like the new USB driver has helped with this.

I've never liked how fiddly these devices are when using the default bootloader but once you have the matrix bootloader installed it should work reliably for a long time without needing you to do this again. :)