Formula Flowcode Buggy stopped programming

For Formula Flowcode Micromouse users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to the Formula Flowcode Micromouse.

Moderator: Benj

BillBarclay54

Formula Flowcode Buggy stopped programming

Post by BillBarclay54 »

My Flowcode Buggy has developed a fault in that it won't accept a program. I have been programming in Sourceboost.c for some time and downloading the Hex file using the formula flowcode stand-alone programmer. This configuration has been working fine for the best part of a year. However, I have just tried to upload the latest version of my program and the programmer reports 'Buggy not found!' Windows also reports 'One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.' Clicking the message brings up a simple schematic diagram of the USB root hub with an unknown device attached to it. The buggy has the green LED lit showing the USB cable attached but both the red LEDs connected to D0 and D1 are flashing at the same time, not alternately. Pressing reset causes the USB disconnect and reconnect sound from the PC. Both LEDs connected to D0/D1 start flashing simultaneously for a second and then D0 goes out for about 3 seconds, leaving D1 on, and then D0 turns on and we are back to simultaneous flashing.

I have downloaded updated drivers - no change. My laptop is running Windows 7 Ult 32 bit. McAfee Antivirus and Firewall are installed. The system is fully up to date. This has been the configuration for a while and I have been programming without any problems.

I have also loaded the original Flowcode 3 CD and drivers onto an old XP machine (which is disconnected from the Internet). The same symptoms occur.

It looks like something has trashed the bootloader but I am wondering whether I am missing something here as I thought the bootloader ran in protected memory and couldn't be overwritten if only programming through the USB Interface. I should be most grateful for any thoughts or advice, please. In particular, if I have trashed the bootloader: is it possible to get the chip re-programmed; and what is likely to have caused this, given I am only programming in circuit using the USB interface and the provided buggy programmer? I have had the buggy for about 6/7 years now and this is the first real problem I have run into.

Bill

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Formula Flowcode Buggy stopped programming

Post by Benj »

Hello Bill,

I understand you have now ordered a replacement chip for the Formula Flowcode. Hopefully this should solve the problem but let us know how your getting on.

It's hard to say what might have caused the problem in the first place but let us know how you get on.

BillBarclay54

Post by BillBarclay54 »

Thanks Ben, I will.

Bill

BillBarclay54

Post by BillBarclay54 »

Ben,

Many thanks. The replacement chip did the trick but the two red LEDs at D0, D1 no longer flash alternately (the green LED flashes instead) when it is connected. Is that to be expected and resulting from a firmware change?

May I return the old chip and have the firmware re-programmed, please, to give me a spare in case it happens again? Happy to pay postage and costs.

Regards,

Bill

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Bill,

Yes the different LED flash is just down to the later firmware. I think the firmware change related to a power management bug fix for Windows Vista.

You can return the old chip and we can look into reflashing it for you but it may turn out that the old chip is damaged and this is why it is failing.

If you want to proceed then please contact Nichola (NicholaN<at>matrixtsl.com) then she will be able to invoice you appropriately.